The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

10 years old miniature schnazuer cluster seizure

hayesnch

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

We have a male Miniature Schnauzer which is 10 years, 7.3kg. It had its first grand mal seizure on last month 23 April at 11pm. And following by some cluster seizures around 2am 24 April, 6am 24 April. We managed to take it to the vet on 24 April morning. And he had another grand mal seizure at the vet which is around 11am, and the vet treat with a rectal Diazepam. The vet first suggested a blood test, and the result showing low on red blood, hemoglobin count, and slightly high on calcium but within the upper range. The vet had mentioned about brain tumor and many other cause that might cause the problem. Also might be a tick fever come back, which it had tick fever once like 5 years ago. During the time waiting for the blood test result my schnauzer is on a treatment of Doxycycline (3/4 of the pill per day) for 6 days. It has another petit mal seizure on the same day at 11pm, which we treated with the same rectal Diazepam we got instructed from the vet. And it seem completely back to normal in the follow week, the blood test result for tick fever is negative.

And suddenly this morning 05 May it had a petit to grand mal seizure again, which last less than 1 minutes like all previous seizures (but this time he is also vocalizing), we haven't give him Diazepam cause by the time we got the medication it already back to normal. We are planning to give a visit to bigger hospital and get a more detail check, but we're not sure the cause yet. The vet we had last time suggest a MRI, which when i compared the symptoms on brain tumor online. It just doesn't really match, it haven't show any behavior problem at all. So I would like to get some advise if it show take a MRI or is it better to consider testing on other organ? the thing i concern is the low red blood cell count, which it haven't perform another blood test after the treatment. I'm not sure if it went back to normal or still low.

It had no prior sign of other disease, only had tick fever once like 5 years ago (cured with treatment)

It having same diet for many years, Canidae, home made boil beef shank unseasoned, raw chopped carrot and broccoli. no problem at all

Vaccine: Rabies, heart guard, front line plus

Thank you very much and very much appreciate if any of you can give some advise or share similar experience.

Hayes

I have never experienced this, but I would go to the ends of the earth and have every test done possible to get to the bottom of what is happening to your boy.

It would break my heart to see my boy have a seizure so my heart goes out to you, as this must be such a distressing time not only for your dog but for you too.

MRI and possibly a CT scan would be what I would ask for and further blood tests to check for rare diseases to see if there is anything that shows up there.

Seeking a second opinion is never a bad thing. At least it will put your mind at ease if you do find out what is wrong with your boy, so you can get the right treatment for him.

Please do let us know how you get on.

Sending big hugs your way.

Sophie x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back