The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

11 week old imperial shih tzu doesn't sleep much!

Jo Platt

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Anyone else's puppy not sleep much during the day and then wakes up frequently in the night! I'm exhausted....does it get easier?

Welcome to the forum :) Yes, it absolutely does get easier!

Where does your pup sleep at night? Are they in a crate? And when they wake up - could they be after your company, or need to toilet, or just want to play? And what do you do when they wake?

They are just like people babies - and just like people babies, they grow out of most of the difficult moments straight into different difficult moments. Then, once through adolescence, they become the wonderful dog you always knew was in there.

Hang on in there - it DOES get better.

Anyone else's puppy not sleep much during the day and then wakes up frequently in the night! I'm exhausted....does it get easier?
Oh yes...very familiar 'story'...and it does get easier...eventually :rolleyes:
Sleeping patterns with dogs/pups are as individual as they are with human's/babies. Some sleep through the night and others are nappers and get their required rest in bits and pieces. Length of the sleep doesn't guarantee the quality.
My advice that is based with two rather lively pups who didn't sleep 'enough' until I intervened is that what ever activity your dog is doing at any time of the day...when ever you can, try to slow it down and calm you pup with precious 'one to one' moment. Maybe lying down next to it holding a chew so it can have really good jaw exercise session with it. Often young dogs like to REALLY chew hard but they cannot quite hold the chew/bone well enough with their paws for their mouth's liking. So one hand on the chew and other one hand you can then give calming massage movements or stroke and marvel its perfect coat...maybe sneak in few kisses too ;)
As its jaws tire, so does pups brain....nap with it or try to get up and leave the pup to it. It might not work each and every time but at least you have had quality time and these kind of sessions will build the bond between yourselves.
Btw....mine learned to like it so much that they started to bring a chew to me and push it into my hand..'hold this!' And even now that they are grown up...if I settle down to watch movie...they occasionally still do it! I don't mind...anything for a quality time;)

As much as it is advised to 'play' and keep dogs mind and bodies stimulated...but it is kind of 'ying yang' situation...for pups to rest they need as much their own time and calmness for their health and well being as well. Chewing is excellent way to stimulate AND calm dogs brains...it is like a brain massage :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :) Yes, it absolutely does get easier!

Where does your pup sleep at night? Are they in a crate? And when they wake up - could they be after your company, or need to toilet, or just want to play? And what do you do when they wake?

Hi thank you!
He sleeps at the side of our bed in his puppy pen, to be honest in the night he wakes up to mostly to go to the toilet, I try not to talk and I keep everything calm. We play with him a lot during the day but maybe we need to start making sure he is put in his bed so he can rest in the day more regularly

He sleeps at the side of our bed in his puppy pen, to be honest in the night he wakes up to mostly to go to the toilet, I try not to talk and I keep everything calm.

That sounds like you're doing the right things :) Yes, I think it's a case of encouraging relaxation time and calmness (within the limits of what is possible) and getting through this stage.

One thing I found helped with sleep deprivation with both babies and my dog as a pup, was for hubby and me to take turns at being 'on call' for the night - so one night in two, the other could relax in the knowledge that even if they were woken, they wouldn't have to get up and do anything, so could just roll over and stick their head under the blankets. The 'off duty' one could even sleep in a spare room.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back