The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

150 Yards

gogomollie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I currently have a 7 month greyhound X whippet and for about 6 weeks i have been slipping her at home in a field about 50 - 70 yards.

Today she has just ran her 2nd handslip at 150 yards and she clocked a time of 9.31 seconds. Her last 25 - 35 yards her front legs started to slow down compared to her back ones.

Now the reason i am posting this is a guy told me that I should not be slipping her the full distance at this age he said he has been doing this for 10 years and although he is not telling me what to do he thinks i should take his advice.

Seeing her run the way she does i dont think there is a problem, the last 25 yards or so i believe is something that she should keep doing in order to over come this error. I am new to this game so please post me your opinion

gogomollie said:
I currently have a 7 month greyhound X whippet and for about 6 weeks i have been slipping her at home in a field about 50 - 70 yards.
Today she has just ran her 2nd handslip at 150 yards and she clocked a time of 9.31 seconds. Her last 25 - 35 yards her front legs started to slow down compared to her back ones.

Now the reason i am posting this is a guy told me that I should not be slipping her the full distance at this age he said he has been doing this for 10 years and although he is not telling me what to do he thinks i should take his advice.

Seeing her run the way she does i dont think there is a problem, the last 25 yards or so i believe is something that she should keep doing in order to over come this error. I am new to this game so please post me your opinion

well gogo i have a 11 month old 1/2g 1/2w bitch and i gave her from the age of 9 month 80 yards then at 10 month gave her a 150 yards and run her with another dog,she past ok and then i have put her in the handicap she ran well last sunday and just got beat and today she ran and won the handicap,her legs were everywhere the first few times of slipping her but its just a matter of time before she finds her legs just give her the time and she will come good.rush her and that could end up with problem.good luck with this pup.just out of interest wots this pups breeding

At this age you could do more harm than good as their bones are still soft & their joints are still developing. You might be lucky & have no problems but there again you could ruin the dog.

Impatience as ruined a lot of good pups over the years.

unwanted said:
gogomollie said:

well gogo i have a 11 month old 1/2g 1/2w bitch and i gave her from the age of 9 month 80 yards then at 10 month gave her a 150 yards and run her with another dog,she past ok and then i have put her in the handicap she ran well last sunday and just got beat and today she ran and won the handicap,her legs were everywhere the first few times of slipping her but its just a matter of time before she finds her legs just give her the time and she will come good.rush her and that could end up with problem.good luck with this pup.just out of interest wots this pups breeding

Hi unwanted

I cant pronounce the fathers name but northern lights is another term you use for it, and to be honest i cant remember the mothers name but i do have it written down at home.

Gogo, I have to totally agree with Suzie, 7 months old is far too you to be giving a pup 150 yards hand slip. It is far better to keep to half that distance until the pup has more strength and bring her/him on gradually. I know there are a lot of people in the sport have their pups running full distance at this age but you are putting a lot of strain on the joints, which have not fully developed.

All the best with you pup in the future. :thumbsup:

This is the father of ye pup NCH AURORA BOREALIS.My pup as same father different mother think u may of got it off my m8 john musgrave.mother of your maybe cocktail split

unwanted said:
This is the father of ye pup NCH AURORA BOREALIS.My pup as same father different mother think u may of got it off my m8 john musgrave.mother of your maybe cocktail split

Yes thats the father and does john live at grange farm?

7 month's is far to young to be running a part greyhound 150yds. :luck: with your pup hope you take notice and take your time. Two many pup's injered trying to run them to soon.

gogomollie said:
unwanted said:
gogomollie said:
unwanted said:

Yes thats the father and does john live at grange farm?

yes m8 he does

have you got anumber for john so i can ring him and confirm the mothers name please?

i will pm u it m8

think you better off starting bigguns at the earliest 10 month, or wait until she has no knuckle showing,as when you put them behind a lure they give 150% to get it and some times injury them selves as they are not set up.greyhound left well over a year, know a trainer starts 14 month +. :luck: :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back