The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

1st time puppy owner. Help please

Lucyblooloo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, my name is lucy and we have beautiful new puppy jack russel x cairn cross. He's called snoop and is 9 weeks old. We are totally in love.

Snoop has been with us for 13 days. And although we're thrilled we are struggling with his biting. I have 3 children, 6/10&12yr old who currently can't play or really interact with him due to his nipping. my husband and i can and do but its not great a lot of the time.

Whenever your with him he's biting. We have lots of toys and always give him something to chew on. However he has a quick chew then onto your hand, clothes and gace a few times. We've tried the stop playing 30sec and when he stops go back to playing but he doesn't stop. He just carrys on biting your feet, infact often abit harder. When he's calmed down we try again, but it just gets worse. The last few days he's even growled and barked at us.

He came from a respected breeder, where we meet both parent dogs(who we're very nice tempered dogs) dad was excitable but nice with it. He has a nice size garden which he runs around in, a routine so he knows when stuff should happen and what order. He has plenty off sleep and a crate which we never go in or bother him when he's in.

The boys are very good with animals and respect and know the boundaries.

Our concern is that we expected mouthing and had explain this to the boys, but this is another level than any other puppy we've known. We worried we're doing somthing wrong, or he's going to be an aggressive personality or he's very unhappy.

Do you think the biting is over excitement, stress/worry or something completely.

Any advice will be greatly received. As none off us,snoop included, can carry on like this. We all want to enjoy our new little member and him to be happy and enjoy being with us. ☹

Hi, my name is lucy and we have beautiful new puppy jack russel x cairn cross. He's called snoop and is 9 weeks old. We are totally in love.

Snoop has been with us for 13 days. And although we're thrilled we are struggling with his biting. I have 3 children, 6/10&12yr old who currently can't play or really interact with him due to his nipping. my husband and i can and do but its not great a lot of the time.

Whenever your with him he's biting. We have lots of toys and always give him something to chew on. However he has a quick chew then onto your hand, clothes and gace a few times. We've tried the stop playing 30sec and when he stops go back to playing but he doesn't stop. He just carrys on biting your feet, infact often abit harder. When he's calmed down we try again, but it just gets worse. The last few days he's even growled and barked at us.

He came from a respected breeder, where we meet both parent dogs(who we're very nice tempered dogs) dad was excitable but nice with it. He has a nice size garden which he runs around in, a routine so he knows when stuff should happen and what order. He has plenty off sleep and a crate which we never go in or bother him when he's in.

Our concern is that we expected mouthing and had explain this to the boys, but this is another level than any other puppy we've known. We worried we're doing somthing wrong, or he's going to be an aggressive personality or he's very unhappy.

Do you think the biting is over excitement, stress/worry or something completely.

Any advice will be greatly received. As none off us,snoop included, can carry on like this. We all want to enjoy our new little member and him to be happy and enjoy being with us. ☹

Hello nice to meet you. I completely understand how you feel. I am a first time puppy owner too. I have a nearly 10 week old shih-tzu/jack Russell pup.

Been at my home for over 2 weeks now. When first brought him home thought he was too good to be true. Then once he felt settled he started to show a 'naughty' side. Biting a lot and very hyper. I did worry it was me and he wasnt happy but I promise it does get better. Please dont worry its you as highly likely its not. Has he had his jabs yet? Thats why I have been struggling as cant take him out at the moment.

I see you try the 20/30second rule, it helps with mine but maybe if possible and you have a crate, take him out of play and put him in crate for a minute, Seems to work for me.

Hope it helps and good idea joining here. Helped me :)

Hi there....what you have described is very typical puppy behaviour...unfortunately.
Just like a human child, puppy does explore their new world through their mouth as well as their other senses. What is also unfortunate for us is that their mouth is full of needle sharp teeth. :rolleyes:
The bad news is, that biting won't ease until some what later when they start loosing their puppy teeth. That would be around 3 month onwards, but it doesn't mean there is nothing you can do.
We can try to train the puppy to control its mouth and how much pressure it makes when those needles make contact with us. Now if the puppies were to stay with the litter and the mum a little longer, they would learn some valuable lessons about the bite control from each other's responses. But essentially you have taken over that role as there is no other dogs in the household to help you out.

There is various ways to deliver the message that the pup is gone too far and hurting.
I have done loud, high pitch yelps..just one yelp per contact. But to balance that, you will have to let the pup know when it is doing right and you like it. So when ever you are cuddling...make some soft noises. I try to 'talk' dog language back and result soft sighs to show 'I like that'. Our doggy friends do want to please us so, even as the pup is not really old and learned enough quite yet to understand what you are saying...it will soon and you will have to bare with the lessons.
It will take months for pup to learn bare basics of life and interactions with us...so at this point, after 2+ weeks, it is only getting used to its new surroundings and is desperately trying to find ways to learn things to cope with the life. At the moment is all about instinct rather than proper use of brain to think. Human babies won't learn not to put things in their mouth in a hurry neither.

Another thing is that as that 'shark mouth' is coming towards your hand...ball your hand into tight fist. It is more difficult to fit that big hand into its mouth and stretched skin does not feel the pain quite as much...and then make the yelp/squealing noise. I have even make some whimpering noises to show the dog I've hurt and shown the few drops of blood for it to smell that I'm 'injured'.
I can remember only a year ago walking around house with puppy dangling from my trouser leg. :D It didn't hurt me so I let it dangle, because I didn't make deal out of it, it soon was forgotten fun. Now it would not even think of doing it.

So yes...this is what puppy ownership all about. It ain't easy for sure. I know this is not helping to make you to feel any better...but it does get better, honest. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi there....what you have described is very typical puppy behaviour...unfortunately.
Just like a human child, puppy does explore their new world through their mouth as well as their other senses. What is also unfortunate for us is that their mouth is full of needle sharp teeth. :rolleyes:
The bad news is, that biting won't ease until some what later when they start loosing their puppy teeth. That would be around 3 month onwards, but it doesn't mean there is nothing you can do.
We can try to train the puppy to control its mouth and how much pressure it makes when those needles make contact with us. Now if the puppies were to stay with the litter and the mum a little longer, they would learn some valuable lessons about the bite control from each other's responses. But essentially you have taken over that role as there is no other dogs in the household to help you out.

There is various ways to deliver the message that the pup is gone too far and hurting.
I have done loud, high pitch yelps..just one yelp per contact. But to balance that, you will have to let the pup know when it is doing right and you like it. So when ever you are cuddling...make some soft noises. I try to 'talk' dog language back and result soft sighs to show 'I like that'. Our doggy friends do want to please us so, even as the pup is not really old and learned enough quite yet to understand what you are saying...it will soon and you will have to bare with the lessons.
It will take months for pup to learn bare basics of life and interactions with us...so at this point, after 2+ weeks, it is only getting used to its new surroundings and is desperately trying to find ways to learn things to cope with the life. At the moment is all about instinct rather than proper use of brain to think. Human babies won't learn not to put things in their mouth in a hurry neither.

Another thing is that as that 'shark mouth' is coming towards your hand...ball your hand into tight fist. It is more difficult to fit that big hand into its mouth and stretched skin does not feel the pain quite as much...and then make the yelp/squealing noise. I have even make some whimpering noises to show the dog I've hurt and shown the few drops of blood for it to smell that I'm 'injured'.
I can remember only a year ago walking around house with puppy dangling from my trouser leg. :D It didn't hurt me so I let it dangle, because I didn't make deal out of it, it soon was forgotten fun. Now it would not even think of doing it.

So yes...this is what puppy ownership all about. It ain't easy for sure. I know this is not helping to make you to feel any better...but it does get better, honest. :rolleyes:
Other thing to add to my lengthy reply... about chews, puppy's are capable of chewing quite tough real 'body part' type of chews...that's what those 'shark teeth' are created for, so they are able to feed themselves. Spend some quality time with the puppy holding the chew for it. They find tough chews difficult to hold with their new little feet but their jaws work well..as you know. So give a helping hand...let the pup chew as long as it takes and it will calming, bond building and tiring for its brains and jaw as well. ;)
Here is our older dog who soon learned the 'art' of keeping those 10 weeks old puppy teeth off from her tabs...'let the puppy share and chew my treat'. She dutifully did hold the chew while the younger one had her 'fill' ;)
DSC_0628 (2).JPG

Last edited:
There's more about puppy biting here: Puppy biting

Personally, I didn't find yelping helped - it just got my dog more excited and thus more bitey. So do it if it seems to help, and not if it doesn't.

Absolute consistency, by all members of the family, is key. You might find that just 5-10 seconds timeout is just as effective, but you could spend a whole evening putting him into and out of timeout. It's exhausting, and it's not easy for the children, but it does work eventually.

[

I missed one of your worries...

As for the growling and barking...yes, that is normal too. You have a terrier.....terrier play can look and sound REALLY brutal. Just as noisy human children, pups too can make lots of noises when they play and interact. Pups don't just play, their play is partly early practice to what they would naturally do later on..
Terriers are essentially working dogs, they are born hunters. Some have more of the prey instinct than others and although this hunting instinct does not develop properly until much later on.
I think what would be best for you is really familiarize yourself what to expect from terriers. The way adult terriers behave is trained into them...they are not necessary all show type dogs, but even the most well behaved dogs have terrier instinct in them and it will surface given right conditions/situation..terriers do not supress their true nature forever. Young terriers can be quite a handful (putting it mildly) but they mellow out as they get older. So be prepared for a fun laden run with yours.

Last edited:
There's more about puppy biting here: Puppy biting

Personally, I didn't find yelping helped - it just got my dog more excited and thus more bitey. So do it if it seems to help, and not if it doesn't.

Absolute consistency, by all members of the family, is key. You might find that just 5-10 seconds timeout is just as effective, but you could spend a whole evening putting him into and out of timeout. It's exhausting, and it's not easy for the children, but it does work eventually.
LOL...indeed...'exhausting'! One has to be even more stubborn than the dog itself.

I'll add here a link to Ten Top Tips To Terriers - Terrier Rescue If you haven't read it already, there is lots of good pointers what to expect/to do with terrier type dogs...some of the pointers will be/become relevant with yours too.

Hi Snoop sounds lovely! Mouthing is completely normal for your pups age and stage - be consistent in telling him no firmly and putting him in time out away from everyone - so just remove him from the “fun” if your crate training never use that as a form of punishment. Continue with this then one day probably around 14-16 weeks he will magically stop! Good luck. Snoop is just learning the boundaries and rules of the jungle.

Totally normal as said hundreds of times, it’s scary how many times this subject has been talked about recently, it’s just part of there start in life and to be honest yours also.

Totally normal as said hundreds of times, it’s scary how many times this subject has been talked about recently, it’s just part of there start in life and to be honest yours also.
I dont think people research getting a puppy and what it entails. .....

I dont think people research getting a puppy and what it entails. .....
...or they refuse to believe when they've been told the details...they are not 'horror' stories for nothing! :D

I have always had terriers and lurchers ...only 2 terriers from pups and had 3 lurchers from pups one at 16 weeks from Ireland and the other 2 from 6 weeks old ...this was when you could take them at 6 weeks as we always had other dogs at home and to be honest the pups we had from 6 weeks were the easiest. ....i always fostered the pups that came in as nobody else wanted to ....:D:eek:;)
I love pups and i always want mine to bite and know how hard to bite ....its so important. ..
I think with all the designer breeds people really dont realise what they are taking on ...lots of cockapoos in rescue as they are high energy and need alot of stimulation. ..terrier crosses ....a pure terrier is a much better bet than a cross between 2 terriers. ....

Ther

Hi Lucy nice to meet you! I am a new puppy owner too! Mine is also chewing lots and lots! I give him plenty of soft toys to chew on also, difficult time but distraction I feel is the best answer and continue what you are doing with the removing your hands/body for a minute to aid reinforcement. There is a great book 'Eazy Peazy Puppy Squeazy' that I was pointed towards by JudyN on this forum - brill! go get it! :) I was also rather saddened to see your puppy was so young when you received him :( Still had a lot of learning to do with his family, me thinks! :) Have fun :)

Ther

Hi Lucy nice to meet you! I am a new puppy owner too! Mine is also chewing lots and lots! I give him plenty of soft toys to chew on also, difficult time but distraction I feel is the best answer and continue what you are doing with the removing your hands/body for a minute to aid reinforcement. There is a great book 'Eazy Peazy Puppy Squeazy' that I was pointed towards by JudyN on this forum - brill! go get it! :) I was also rather saddened to see your puppy was so young when you received him :( Still had a lot of learning to do with his family, me thinks! :) Have fun :)
Vito is 14 weeks old and I totally feel your pain. He is definitely better than he was, so hang in there. He is teething now, which Snoop must be, so you need plenty of things to offer for that. Vito loves his antler from Green & Wilds, frozen filled Kongs, and also bones and bully sticks but I have had to withdraw these because he won't give them up. Many people swear by frozen carrots.

Vito is 14 weeks old and I totally feel your pain. He is definitely better than he was, so hang in there. He is teething now, which Snoop must be, so you need plenty of things to offer for that. Vito loves his antler from Green & Wilds, frozen filled Kongs, and also bones and bully sticks but I have had to withdraw these because he won't give them up. Many people swear by frozen carrots.
Oh, and it's often overtiredness that makes things worse.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back