The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

2nd Pup

daztheman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi all our lurcher bitch as just come up to four months old she is a great little pup and we always said we wanted two dogs. we are not new to dog keeping but never had two at the same time i would like to get one about the same age what are your thoughts. is it the right time to get another and are two better than one. many thanks. Daz

I would wait till your dog is at least a year old as having two pups (ive heard) is hard work as each pup needs individual training, attention, walks etc. You should leave it till your dogs older then you can be fully bonded with her before the new pup comes bounding along and demanding your attention.

The new pup will also learn from the elder one too, if you get a young pup now it will try to do the same as the older one but theyre both growing and will just wind each other up!

Ofcourse two dogs are great fun and do keep each other company and play with each other- goodluck :)) :luck:

Very good advice I'd say! :)

Lupin (bitch) was a year old when I got Zephyr (dog) and had had her first season and settled down a bit from the manic puppy stage :D .

You would have a problem if you got a dog pup & it discovered what it's bits were for at the same time as your bitch had her first season :huggles: :oops:

I have a friend who now has 11 dogs! 9 Lurchers, a whippet & an old BC.

You might have problems with two juveniles fighting over 'top dog' position. Also if they're gonna grow to be big dogs then it may be difficult to stop them over exercising while they're young.

But nothing that a bit of hard work and patience won't overcome, just my opinion, i'm sure its been done before.

Years ago we had 2 pups at the same time, a dalmatian and a weimaraner. NEVER AGAIN (w00t) This time round we waited till Hebe was 18 months till we got Rafferty & then they were 5 & 6 when Scrumpy arrived. Training her has been a doddle as she watches what the others do & follows them. :D

I'd wait a while if I were you :thumbsup:

But :luck: if you dont.

When it comes down to it, obviously it's your decision. Plenty of people on here have more than one puppy at a time. I've just had a new pup (had her for 10 days), my other Whippet is 6 months. No problems whatsoever so far, they are great friends.

However, there is no way i would have contemplated having a new pup when my Dobermann was a puppy - she was far too naughty. I waited til she was well over two before i thought she was sensible enough, then i got my first Whippet. I guess what im saying is it very much depends on what the dog you have now is like. :luck: whatever you decide to do.

daztheman said:
hi all our lurcher bitch as just come up to four months old she is a great little pup and we always said we wanted two dogs. we are not new to dog keeping but never had two at the same time i would like to get one about the same age what are your thoughts. is it the right time to get another and are two better than one. many thanks. Daz
:huggles: I would advise waiting, at least until you're happy with the 1st puppy's general training. I had 2 puppies together, they were 3 & 5 months old. It was a lot of work

to train them both as they needed individual input when teaching them and, we all

know that pups love to play when together. :huggles:

The only reason I had 2 pups was that I had already got 1 pup when I had to have my deerhound cross put to sleep due to uncontrolled epilepsy. I intended to get another one as it's my favourite cross the following year but a couple of months later Bill Doherty had pups for sale, I liked his breeding so thats how I

ended up with 2 pups.Unfortunately that was the last litter by Lewis. Sorry to waffle on!!

daztheman said:
Just a quick p.s. the two pups were dogs but 1 was quite laid back the other was

lively but they got on okay with each other. Maybe it was because we had other dogs about that stopped any top dog problems.

well i got a pup "gyspy"(8wks) in the september of 2005 and then although i knew taking on another pup would be difficult (because i was training my orginal pup and i felt i couldnt take on training another at the time) i got a dog that was 6yrs old ("casper")to keep her company :- " unfortunately because gypsy is a live wire and "casper" is a sweetheart who wanted a quiet life it didnt really work as i wanted they were just seperate dogs..sooooo.....in the feb of this year i got a pup"monty"..i felt by this time gypsy was house trained and had a bond with me...my only worry was the new pup would bond with her....however it has all turned out perfect! :thumbsup: monty and gypsy are best friends and casper has the quiet life he wanted and now he has settled in he is playing with them both quite often now :huggles: i have to make sure monty keeps his bond with me though but its not difficut at all...he is a real people dog anyway :wub: :wub: :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back