The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

5 month old kelpie shephard cross lead training .

Matthew Steel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So my puppy is 5 months old suki bitch , she's very good of the lead , comes when called doesn't stray off to far but getting her to the field she loves is a night mare she just freezes up due to a dog coming/ car bus etc , I'm trying to be consistent a persist with it but I just wanted to know some tips from anyone who has been through this stage her breeder only put a leash on her the day we got her 9 days ago .

Is she anxious about the other dog/car? If so, this isn't a case of lead training, but a case of getting her used to all these sights that worry her. Try to avoid getting close enough that she's really stressed (e.g. won't take a high-value treat). If she does freeze, just wait her out. Let her look at the scary thing and think about it for herself. Then, whenever she's ready to move on, carry on as normal, even if it's not in the direction you were intending to. Praise/treat her as she moves on - and also give her a treat when she spots the scary object so over time it becomes less scary and has positive associations ('Hey Dad, I've seen a dog! Yay, do I get a treat?')

It's really early days, and the most important thing is that she feels safe and that she can rely on you to keep her safe. 'Proper' lead training can wait.

Is she anxious about the other dog/car? If so, this isn't a case of lead training, but a case of getting her used to all these sights that worry her. Try to avoid getting close enough that she's really stressed (e.g. won't take a high-value treat). If she does freeze, just wait her out. Let her look at the scary thing and think about it for herself. Then, whenever she's ready to move on, carry on as normal, even if it's not in the direction you were intending to. Praise/treat her as she moves on - and also give her a treat when she spots the scary object so over time it becomes less scary and has positive associations ('Hey Dad, I've seen a dog! Yay, do I get a treat?')

It's really early days, and the most important thing is that she feels safe and that she can rely on you to keep her safe. 'Proper' lead training can wait.

Thank you so much this makes loads more sense now I was doing some of what you said but I was trying to get her to pass through the danger which is q mistake and I will take all these tips on board and put them into practice.

My dog finds dustbin lorries scary. I've always given him the choice whether to walk past them or take a different route and now, when we need to pass one, often as not I can see him thinking 'I can do this, I can do this...', and he'll walk very quickly past and then look at me as if to say, 'I was a brave boy Mum, do I get a treat?' And of course he does!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back