The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

5 month old puppy itching!

purple07

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

Just after some advice really. Our Shih Tzu is just 5 months old. He's now dry through the night but still wakes twice in the night, scratching the kitchen door down and barking. He doesn't want the toilet as we've tried letting him out. He eventually settles within 30 mins. He won't stop itching daily and nightly though. It's not fleas as he's been treated and the vet has checked. It's not a food allergy as we've checked that. The vet said it could be the itch/scratch cycle. Any suggestions for the itching and the night waking? I've got a plug in thing that's meant to help with sleep, imitating a mother lactating but it obviously doesn't work.

Has he got enough comforting things with him? Also does he has free run of the space downstairs? Have you thought about crating him so that he has his den area and then he has a certain amount of feeling safe?

As for the itching, my puppy was the same and after much reading I changed her food and I noticed within a week-10 days she was alot better still some itching but nothing as bad as it was.

I feel both your pain!! As a new dog owner myself I was worried sick that I was doing something wrong with my poppy as she was itching and biting all the time. After trips to the vets and a trip to the groomer - I had ruled out any fleas/tics. I also changed her food - It was the last option I had!!

Thankfully she is now doing much much better!! I had spoken to friends who has always had dogs and they were the ones that suggested looking for the root cause rather than trying to sort the outward signs.

Have you had any change?

You could just have a sensitive puppy dog that when anxious she starts to scratch! Common in humans too (i know cus i do it!!!)

Crating your puppy is a good idea, as its a safe place for them.

Also try changing her bedding, just in case the fabric isnt agreeing with her.

Hope you get it sorted.

Hi everyone my new 11 week old pup Barney was taken to the vet and turns out he has mange/scabies. He was scratching and biting himself and had lumpy skin. He's a Parson Russell. The man who sold him to us apparently illegally docked him and although he vaccinated him, the vet is unsure whether this was done properly or not. We're attached and want to get him well. Has anyone had a similar experience with such a young pup and if so what happened?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back