The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

5 month old puppy waking at night!

Dozza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 5 month old puppy is great sometimes he will sleep from 10 till 6ish but odd times wakes up at 2am then 5am it's driving me potty! I take his water and old away about 2/3 hours before bedtime and make him wee and on before bed. He starts whining around 3am so I have tried taking him out but he doesn't wee straight away, could this be attention whining?

I personally dont agree with taking his water away from him ...he is only 5 months old ...he may just want company he may have heard a noise that worried him. ..could he be getting cold ...where does he sleep. ..

I personally dont agree with taking his water away from him ...he is only 5 months old ...he may just want company he may have heard a noise that worried him. ..could he be getting cold ...where does he sleep. ..

He sleeps in our front room. Sometimes he's absolutely fine but the odd night just when I think we have sussed his bedtime he wakes up. We make sure it's warm enough at night? He used to he fine when he was younger but it's just recently? Once I let.him out he just sits there, he will eventually do a wee bit on command and then I put him back in his crate and he's fine? Wondering if he just wanted some attention??

Could you move his crate into your room so he can be near to you...

I don't think that would be any better think it would make it worse as he soon wakes at the slightest sound and I have two young children. I did smell poo at the 5 o clock waiting but couldn't find it, he had put his blanket over it so I know that time he woke he genuinely wanted a poo but I wasn't quick enough lol it's the 3 o clock one that I'm wondering why? Some n8ghts he's okay

They go through stages like children ...waking up odd hours. .have you tried covering half of his crate up with a blanket over the top ,...

He might want attention, but to him, this feels like a genuine need - 'I'm all alone and I want my mum/dad'. I'm a big fan of dog sleeping in their owners' rooms as they can feel much more secure there. But that's for you to decide.

Make sure when you do take him out at night that the outings are really boring. So on lead, no sniffing around, don't talk to him at all (apart from a quick 'good boy' when he wees), and then straight back to bed.

Yeah i dont talk to him. Im guessing ill just hae to ignore him early hours then when and if he wakes again at 5 thengetup as it seems that's a genuine cry for the toilet. Yes I have a blanket on top half of his crate.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back