The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

5 month old still pooing and weeing in crate at night help!!!!!!

Dozza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 5.month old has his last.meal.about half 4pm he goes on a walk around 6 or 7. He's always dropping off and there's no stopping him when he's back. I tale him out alot before bed to.do.his business but he poos around 5 half 5 then he won't do another one before bed which we I about half 9. Last night I was out for about an hour trying to make him have a poo before bed but nothing.he woke me up at 2 am but not to say he needed one but to say he had already done one?? 1. Why is he not barking to be let out but when it's too late and 2. Why is he still wetting and pooing his bed??? Some nights he's okay.

I have noticed it's when his bed is in the wash and I put him blankets down and he tends to cover his poo with the blanket? I want to get him a new bed but when I do He just wees on it?

He's only a baby still. Why do you expect he should know to bark when he needs to go out? Is he still fed 3 times a day as I would expect till 6 months old? Obviously the feeding and going out times aren't suiting his system. If he needs a poo an hour or so after he eats then I'd feed the last meal later so he will empty later and then may be able to last through the night. If he slept on a dog bed beside yours, you might wake up when he got up to empty and could then get him outside quickly till he can last through the night.

He's only a baby still. Why do you expect he should know to bark when he needs to go out? Is he still fed 3 times a day as I would expect till 6 months old? Obviously the feeding and going out times aren't suiting his system. If he needs a poo an hour or so after he eats then I'd feed the last meal later so he will empty later and then may be able to last through the night. If he slept on a dog bed beside yours, you might wake up when he got up to empty and could then get him outside quickly till he can last through the night.
Like I say he's been fine until 2 days ago?

So he's not still doing it, he's just started doing it? If he's been fine up till now (apart frome before he was housetrained), then the first step would be a vet check.

Up till now, when he was 'fine', was he going through all night without weeing & pooing, or did he wake you up when he needed to go? How many poos a day does he do? Moving his evening meal to later in the evening might help him last all night before it reaches the other end.

So he's not still doing it, he's just started doing it? If he's been fine up till now (apart frome before he was housetrained), then the first step would be a vet check.

Up till now, when he was 'fine', was he going through all night without weeing & pooing, or did he wake you up when he needed to go? How many poos a day does he do? Moving his evening meal to later in the evening might help him last all night before it reaches the other end.
He's always been a bit hit and miss. I do.find when I wear him out in the day has alot better he sleeps right through

Dudley will never poo in the garden When he was the age yours is I used to walk him round the village at ten o clock at night. Sometimes we were out for an hour or more. Eventually he stopped pooing at ten and gradually his times changed to 9 or so in the morning and 5 to 6 in the evening. He rarely goes more often than that.
I think that his times changed when he went on to feeds twice a day, which he still has.
So maybe it is because your little one is still very young.

Three meals per day at 6-MO?!?!... Why, pray tell? o_O
SIX MONTHS in dog’s age is approx the equivalent of 14 to 15-YO, in a human.
Do any of U parents with teenagers feed them toddler entrees & minced veg? — puréed fruits, with the seeds removed for safety?! - of course not, the teens eat the same diet as their parents. :p

It’s full-on puberty; Ma Nature considers that dog to be a functional adult - because adults are reproductively mature, & 6-MO bitches can enter estrus and be impregnated, just as 6-MO dogs are secreting fertile sperm. :shrug:

YOU may call her or him, “my widdle wuvvy doodle bug...”, & consistently refer to the dog when U speak of them as “my puppy”, but in cold clinical fact, s/he is a grown-up now, able to carry a pregnancy or sire a litter.

Why should s/he need to eat a meal every 4 to 6 hours? —- unless a particular dog has some kind of metabolic disorder, they can eat meals approx 10 to 12 hours apart, before the owner leaves for work, & again in the evening, after the working day & the return commute.

None of my pups have eaten 3 feeds per day past 8 or 9 weeks of age; the only exceptions among my client’s dogs, where I did recommend 3 meals per day, were extremely tiny toy-sized pups, who - as everyone knows - are prone to hypoglycemia, with their rapid metabolisms, tiny stomachs, & fast digestion / rapid excretion.
None of my puppies were teeny weeny toy sized breeds.

Average sized dogs who will mature to any weight of 10# & up, as adults, do not need 3 meals per day once they leave their littermates for a 1st owner —- unless they have a diagnosed medical problem, & the vet has said that 3 or more meals are needed, daily.

Remember that dogs evolved for a feast-&-famine lifestyle, they gorge when they can, are opportunistic eaters, & scavenging is normal; many professionals (vets, hunters, breeders...) fast their adult dogs one day a week, on water only.

- terry

Re this particular dog, from the OP’s description, I would second @JudyN ’s suggestion of an immediate vet visit. // Any time a dog’s appetite, toilet habits, usual behaviors, or favorite activities suddenly change, it’s time for a doctor’s take on her / his state of health.
Even if all U get is a negative, & the dog is clinically normal, eliminating possible physical grounds is Step 1. :)

- terry

Last night he went to bed at 10 so hour later and he didn't wake all night until 20 past 5 then weed and pooed in his crate straight away then whined? U think it could be that he's sleeping along time through theb waking up desperate so has no choice to do t I his cage??

Yes its a long time for a 5 mth pup to wait ...can you feed him his last meal a bit earlier ...my lot are fed 630am in morning after their walk then their last meal is 3pm with a bonio at 630pm ...
He may whine to be let out but you dont hear him ...dogs dont like to dirty their bed so this may cause him stress to have to do so ...its such a shame he cant be allowed to sleep nearer to you so you hear him ...
Even if you dont scold him when you come and find his has soiled his bed your body language will tell him you are cross with him....

Yes its a long time for a 5 mth pup to wait ...can you feed him his last meal a bit earlier ...my lot are fed 630am in morning after their walk then their last meal is 3pm with a bonio at 630pm ...
He may whine to be let out but you dont hear him ...dogs dont like to dirty their bed so this may cause him stress to have to do so ...its such a shame he cant be allowed to sleep nearer to you so you hear him ...
Even if you dont scold him when you come and find his has soiled his bed your body language will tell him you are cross with him....
Yeah I hear everything as my two young boys only have to turn over and I'm awake haha. I really don't know what to do. I feel.im doing everything the right way. Could it be normal for them to be good then go back on themselves maybe through their next stage?? Surely there's other people of there with the same issues?

I have used and bought my fleece bedding from "Pro fleece Bedding" for probably 20 years . They make a more dense fleece than the original Vet bed variety. These fleeces
Wash and dry very quickly, and as long as your dog dose not chew their bedding, it lasts for years.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back