The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

7-year-old recently adopted Husky vomiting

Charliecharles

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, thanks in advance for any help! We adopted a 7-year-old husky in November, and he has been vomiting fairly regularly since then (with effort, it's always just yellow foam, anywhere from one to four days per week). We've had two vets check him out, all normal, both said it's probably a sour stomach from only eating once a day. He refuses all food in the morning and lunchtime, and only ever seems interested in food at night, so he still only eats once a day even when he's on free feed. We thought he may be allergic to chicken, so we cut it from his diet, and the vomiting did seem to decrease in frequency, but it's never totally gone away. He's not eating anything that he shouldn't (besides the wax from a Babybel cheese wheel, but he didn't vomit after that!) and he's not lethargic or anything as far as we know. He does whine a lot, especially in the evenings and overnight, and he does seem to whine worse before he needs to vomit. We have him on the Purina Pro sensitive skin and stomach food, which is the only food he's eaten with any regularity. Have any of you have been through anything similar, and what your solution was? I'm going to have yet another vet check him out, and I'm hoping I can take new ideas or questions to that appointment.

Yellow frothy bile is often due to an empty stomach (referred to as "hunger pukes" even though he might not realise he is hungry). The eating once a day might be habit for him. Could you hold back some of his evening meal one night (I know it's counterintuitive) so he is hungry enough to eat something in the morning, or use his feed as training rewards to space it out, play games like hiding food in the house and getting him to hunt for it, or even try something like a puzzle feeder or a Kong to try to get him more engaged with his food at different times?

2 off my whippets get this and for them its because of an empty stomach, being active dog the stomach empties a lot quicker causing them to be sick during the night. I feed mine twice a day and at bedtime i give dry toast which seems to help. Oliver has just finished a course of zantac from the vet as he was being sick and refusing his breakfast hes a lot better.
I hope you get him sorted as there's nothing worse than watching them being sick.

Oliver has just finished a course of zantac
That's a good point that I forgot about - sometimes the empty tummy makes them feel nauseous and that makes them reluctant to eat, which in turn makes their tummy worse so they actually are sick. Something to help take the edge off that nausea might break the cycle until you can embed the routine of more frequent eating.

Could you feed him twice in the evening, say 5pm and bedtime which might keep his tummy fuller for longer. Or try to get him to eat a very appetising snack a couple of times through the day so his tummy is never completely empty. This 'empty tummy syndrome' is quite common but usually happens first thing in the morning and is generally solved by giving a snack at bedtime. Many dogs don't seem to tolerate chicken or even chicken kibble so well these days.....makes you wonder what's really in it now.

Yup- our old lurcher was a regular at this. Try giving bits as treats during the day and at bedtime- and maybe worth trying a probiotic- you can buy them on line and add a little to meals. Even a fussy eater will give in for a sardine!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back