The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

9 weeks old siberian

irishlady

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone. I got my sibe last week at the age of 9 weeks. Started her in obedience class last night which turned out to be disastrous. When they wanted us to heel our dogs around the room she wouldn't move, just refused to go with me. The trainer said to keep walking so she would have to start coming with me. Well, it just wound up that she was pulled around the room on her feet with her screaming and crying. Only ocassionally walked with me. I wanted to cry but was told to keep walking. What I don't get is that when I'm with her at home she will walk with me and run, so what happened. Also she hates her crate at night when the door is closed, so my partner has left the door open and I see her sleeping in the hallway be our bedroom door. As long as I leave the crate door open she's fine. Anyone with experience with this please help as I am getting frustrated on what the right thing to do is. Not sure if the training is the right choice for her and I. Thanks

Training is the right thing but I would go to another club, the sort of experience you describe is very old fashioned, modern trainers use kind, positive re enforcement methods. Please look round your area then talk to the trainers about their methods.

Look for a trainer that belongs to the APDT. Their motto is "Kind, Fair and Effective". They use reward based methods. Much better.

I am a big fan of crates and they do help with house training. Would she settle in the crate if it was in your bedroom? It would not have to be there permanently just while she settles in. You can then gradually move it towards the bedroom door, through it, then outside it until she is sleeping where you want her to.

The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey is a very good book.

Cover the crate with a blanket to help her feel secure when inside. Use the crate for feed times, keep it a happy place but never for punishment.

All of our dogs love their crates, the doors are always open but tops and sides are covered 24/7. We can close the doors whenever we like with any of the girls inside.

Try short spels inside with door closed like maybe 5 mins, sit beside her and have a cup of coffee yourself ! and always release her on a positive quiet moment, then quietly praise her.

The trainer should never ever let you drag your dog around screaming on his lead, this is not training the dog, it is terrifying the dog.

Try leading your dog along by holding tasty treats in front of his nose.

If he isn’t too afraid, he’ll follow the treats and gradually become more comfortable walking with you.

When your dog totally freezes, (DO NOT PLAY TUG OF WAR) you can try stopping a few feet in front of your dog and waiting.

If he shows any signs of moving toward you, say “Yes!” and reach toward him to deliver a treat.

Walk a few more feet away and again wait for your dog to voluntarily move toward you. Praise and reward him only for forward movement.

Take your dog into the rear garden if you have one, or go to a place that the dog has been to before and trusts this place and practise the above with only the two of you.

He may not like the School method with lots of people and dogs.

Be patient. do not scold the dog in any way, once he stops freezing, use the treat in front of the nose method.

Through time you wil only need to treat him if he happens to freeze, then treat in front of him to move.

We run School type classes at our rehoming center, there are always two or more trainers at each class,

if we see a problem where the dog was distressed, as your one was,

the dog and owner would be bypassed into a nearby pen and one of our training officers would deal with the problem, (obviously the class method did not work,,,try something else.)

When the dog is ready he\she is returned to the class.

School or classroom methods of training are usually excellent, your dog gets used to lots of other dogs, plus they are in contact with various people, they sometimes learn from each other,

I have often seen where I have been training a dog, then ask the next person to come forwards and the dog has just done it without having to telling it anything,,, he had just been sitting quietly watching all the other dogs before him doing it and copied them.

Proper training is a must, keep an eye out when you go back to your trainer, if you see anything else that seems untoward, change trainers for someone with more up to date methods.

Sorry this was sooo long, but it does annoy me when things like this happen, it gives good trainers a bad name.

Patience treats and lots of praise is normally all that is needed for training your dog.

Please let us know how you get on

Shewy

P.S. About the crate.

I personally don't use a crate, but others find that it works for them.

If your dog is happy sleeping in the crate with the door open, then ok let her.

As long as the crate in not used for holding a destructive dog or used to aleviate a problem, if your dogs happy with the door open, she will get used to it being locked if you wish a bit of peace or don't trust the dog when you go out.

If she likes sleeping in the hall and she is not causing any problems, well let her, she is happy their.

My dog sleeps anywhere he wishes, he drags his bed about, you never know where it is going to show up next, but he's happy so why stop him.

Shewy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back