The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

9 year old westie constantly urinating over everything

nic74

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I am new to this group we have 9 year old west highland terrier who urinates over anything and everything. He does it on a daily basis and has done so for the past 8 years. We have taken him to the vet who said there was nothing wrong. Any tips.. i am at the end of my tether now. Constantly cleaning up after him and is not just a tinkle some mornings i get up to a mini flood. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

If it definitely isn't medical then to be frank, an eight year habit is going to be hard to break. But it is possible. Is he taken out on walks? Is there any reason he might be anxious outside? Or has he just not learned?

First I suggest thorough cleaning with a good enzymatic cleaner and leave the cleaner down for at least ten minutes before you wipe it up to give it time to work. That should help him not be drawn back to the same places.

Then, back to basics with toilet training. Whatever the frequency is that he wees, take him out more than that - you are aiming for every single toilet to be outdoors. So perhaps every hour to start with. When he does toilet outside, go overboard with praise and immediately deliver a really high value reward - it has to be immediate so he makes the connection between the toileting and the reward. And it might help to have a special reward only used for outside toilets. Never scold him or react at all to indoor toilets as some dogs, fearing your reaction, will sneak off to toilet out of sight which is not what you want. The think you are annoyed at them toileting as opposed to toileting in the house.

Toilet training happens when the physical ability to hold his toilet comes together with the desire to earn the lovely reward he will get, so make the reward so great he will ask to go outside to earn it - then you are well on the right track.

Along with rewarding *outdoor* voiding, i’d PREVENT indoor voiding with a belly-band.

Most dogs do not enjoy the sensation of pee on their bellies, so rather than widdle into the band, they hold it - which is exactly what’s desired. ;)
The best belly-bands are all cotton with fully-enclosed elastic - exposed elastic can pinch skin, pull hair, or cause a rash. // i’d be sure to wash them (1 to wear, 1 for spare) *before* using them, as dirt-repelling coatings or sizing can irritate skin.

Belly bands get disposable liners, which are cheap & readily available- peel off the paper, & the sticky side adheres easily to the band. Remove only AFTER he exits the house, check to be sure it’s clean / dry, change any time it’s damp AND change at least every 12-hrs, to minimize bacterial growth.
Put the new pad in while he’s busy sniffing or peeing, & put the band back on B4 he enters the house.

- terry

By the bye, is he neutered?
I didn’t see any mention of it - if not, i’d get him snipped ASAP.

In one study, 90% of M dogs with chronic marking habits quit leg-lifting indoors once they were desexed, with no other intervention needed- no restrictions on access, no B-mod, no repelling sprays, nada.

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back