The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Bit Of Nostalgia

milly

Who's Y Daddy?
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ourginny031.jpg

Can you remember this Mike? or can anyone else, I think it was in 1991 that I met Mike Palmer for the first time :D and stayed friends ever since

ourginny030.jpg

Look Mike, I'm making you more famous than you already are :D

Bottom left Mike Palmer with that brilliant under 23" bitch Holly, what a allrounder this bitch was, sim, straight, high jump, hurdles, and spot on for her working abilities, remember that rabbit curry Mike, :D my arse is still glowing after eating it :sweating: :p

Last edited by a moderator:
ourginny029.jpg

Another from the past, me old mate Pat Mathews, he also knew how to get a dog fit for racing and the high jump :thumbsup: top left

Just off out to practise my hand slipping skills, cos there a bit rusty :D

Put some more on later.

yours in sport nipper the slipper :D

Some good pix there,1992 i was only 6,lol :- " :p and prob tagging after my dad and lurchers looking to ONLY hold one which they prob didnt want to know me!! they seemed so big to me at that age!!!LOL :blink: :- " :teehee:

Rose :)

ourginny032.jpg

These Mathews brothers get every where, my good mate Joe Mathews winning the simulated coursing. we still keep in touch with Joe & Sue visiting them every year.

Love them Portreath pasties :thumbsup: :D

Speaking of pasties, here's my lad Tay winning the lurcher racing at Roseudgeon(sp) donkey derby,nr Penzance.

ourginny037.jpg

ourginny036.jpg

Right ,back to Chatsworth,the long jump was set up on an incline,to make it harder for the dogs.Midge won it 3 years on the trot :D

ourginny040.jpg

Watched a few videos of this young man over the years, he could learn Plummer a thing a two :D I often wonder what he's up to nowdays :- " the last I heard he was selling coal up Newcastle :sweating: :D and he looked as black as me on that photo with our Sally (w00t)

Hi Geoff, with all the talk about racing dogs and their breeding... remember Sky in 1992 when you said at Chatsworth that you could hear his muscles stretching when he ran?! He won the over 23in racing both days that year, he also won the All Counties title, UK championship, All England Bends championship, Cornish Champion (see photo) all in 1992... also at Chatsworth he won the hurdles in 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996, also the long jump 1997. Sky was 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound, over the years he won hundreds of titles and trophies, beating all the smooth coated greyhound/whippets. So when people say it takes a whippet/greyhound to win racing they should have a look at what Sky and his litter brother Stag achieved. Thanks for posting the photos Geoff, it brought back a lot of memories!! Sky lived till he was 12 and a half, before time and his heart gave out... still the best dog I ever had. Cheers Mike

here's another picture for you of Holly... anyone who says Suluki crosses are no good certainly never met this bitch!!! She would compete at all the working events, excelling in the high jump winning titles all over the country.. her best jump in competition being 11feet (pictued below jumping in training) she stood only 22 3/4in tall, but she beat all the big dogs on a regular basis. She also won hurdle titles and straight racing as well as being a brilliant lamping bitch. Your old mate Ronnie Hodge said if he owned this bitch, he would have her put in a glass case when she died!! We didnt go that far, but she stayed with us until she died at 14years. She was close to Sky at being the best dogs I have ever owned. When we mated her with your racing dog Bow she produced a pups that went on to win the Chatsworth Supreme champion showing (Teagle) and Blaize who won the coursing championship at Chatsworth too. Mike

also pictured is all the racing champions at the Roseudgeon show that you attended in cornwall :thumbsup:

I remember attending these shows as a youngster.Is there still as much interest in Cornwall as there was back then. Only attended one show in last couple of years.

mike palmer said:
Hi Geoff, with all the talk about racing dogs and their breeding... remember Sky in 1992 when you said at Chatsworth that you could hear his muscles stretching when he ran?! He won the over 23in racing both days that year, he also won the All Counties title, UK championship, All England Bends championship, Cornish Champion (see photo) all in 1992... also at Chatsworth he won the hurdles in 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996, also the long jump 1997. Sky was 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound, over the years he won hundreds of titles and trophies, beating all the smooth coated greyhound/whippets. So when people say it takes a whippet/greyhound to win racing they should have a look at what Sky and his litter brother Stag achieved. Thanks for posting the photos Geoff, it brought back a lot of memories!! Sky lived till he was 12 and a half, before time and his heart gave out... still the best dog I ever had. Cheers Mike
Remember, how could I ever forget, he's down in the hall of fame :thumbsup:

Do you remember meeting up with me & Hazel at the Royal Welsh Show Ground, I think it was in April ,it was raining all day and Tay won the overs racing & our Penny won the unders. Hazel says it was Easter Sunday.you stayed over for the Monday racing,and I think you won the unders and the overs :D

Do you remember Lisa from Shropshire,she bought 'Jerry lee'as a pup from this show.He turned out to be a good dog :D

mike palmer said:
also pictured is all the racing champions at the Roseudgeon show that you attended in cornwall  :thumbsup:
From right to left Mike with christie which I bred :D

Keith Booth from Lincoln,with Shady,which I bred :D

Me with Tay :D

Gerald Penfold (don't know the name of his dog.but it was a bull cross) :D

What a day that was,it was pasties all round :D

There you go,one of Milly and Jerry Lee when they won Chatsworth.

ourginny038.jpg

Sorry,no photograph,but over 23" racing result

Mr & Mrs G Platts with Tip :b

Milly had pulled a nail clean out of her front left toe in the final.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brill pictures and super reading...that's what this message board ought to be all about. Amazing pics of the high jump...takes my breath away at how the dogs are able to do it. Does anyone have any videos out there of dogs competing at the high jump...wouldn't mind a copy of one just to see how it's done. You are spoilt for choice in the mainland with all the lurchers events that are run at the shows.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back