The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Convert....in Search Of A Whippet!

2LeftFeet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all

I've been lurking on the forum for a while now. Some friends of ours have 2 whippets and over the past year, we've come to realise what lovely dogs they are. We'd always wanted a dog, but could never agree what to get...and now we know - a whippet would be perfect!

We're not sure how to get our whippet thought...don't necessarily want a puppy...although they are so cute! If we don't go down the puppy route, the new family member must be cat-friendly (does this exclude most rescue whippets?)

I am wary of online listings of puppies...seems too much like a pet shop to me. What do you guys reckon? Is there a directory of breeders I can start with? You forum members sure have some beautiful dogs.

Ideally we'd like to get our dog in the next few months. Strong preference for a bitch, not intending to race, temperament is key.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

TIA

2LF

Hi and welcome to the world of whippies!!!!!!!

It would be nice if you could tell us a little about yourselves etc, not that we are nosey but might help to point you in the right direction for a suitable dog Jan

:) Hi there and welcome to the forum!!

As the previous response said, it's always good to know your circumstances... then it's easier to determin what kind of whippet is for you.

Would you consider a rescue? Here on the forum we often pull together to try and find a home for dogs in the pounds or centres.

xXx

Hi and welcome - my advice would be to stick around, there arent huge amounts of rescue whippets (thankfully) but they do crop up in ones and twos on here quite regularly.

As far as cats go - both of my 2 would kill a strange cat, i have no doubt about that - but with patience, training and ongoing vigilance, they are fine with mine

Good luck in your quest :luck:

Hello and welcome! :cheers:

I agree with the above...if you remain looking on the forum as Urchin says,they don't come up that often for re-homing but occassionally you will get them.You could also try getting in touch with JR Whippet Rescue and the breed clubs as they may know of breeders looking to re-home an older pup that they have maybe "run on"? And the KC should have a list of breeders too.

Good luck in your search :luck: and pics please when you find your ideal family member! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and Welcome :D

You have made a fab choice,whippets are amazing.

Good luck with your search. :luck: :thumbsup:

Hi All

Thanks for welcoming me here!

OK, a bit about us. We (me, OH and 2 14 yo cats) live in a quiet cul-de-sac which backs out onto woodland and fields - perfect dog-walking area. Our house is a smallish 2 bed semi, but we do have front and back gardens and could definitely make room to welcome a dog into our house. :D

Each of us grew up with dogs, but we've not had one together before...it wasn't really practical as I was working long hours, 6 days a week and my OH was working as a rep. Now, my OH is a landscape gardener so he's out and about in the locality and I've gone down to 3 days a week at work (yay!) Obviously, a primary concern is what to do when we're both out at work. There's various options - OH could take the dog out with him - plenty of opportunity for walks, company and fresh air. Alternatively (eg if it was a very hot day), the dog could stay at home and he could come back twice to let her out...so making sure she wasn't left for more than 3 hours at a time. If that's not suitable, my in-laws, who live less than a mile away, have 2 very chilled Bassett hounds, and are happy to have a day-time visitor.

We're quite out-doors people and tend to take holidays in the UK - renting a cottage in the countryside - we're looking forward to taking our dog away with us.

Puppies are cute - there's no 2 ways about it. I melt, every time I see one! That said, we would be happy to take a young dog, or a rescue. My main concern is that whatever whippet we get can get on with the cats. We'll put a gate at the bottom of the stairs and don't intend to let the dog upstairs - one of the cats is almost blind and she spends most of her time upstairs - she may find it hard to understand what's going on and needs to have somewhere to hide...which is another reason we don't necessarily want a puppy. The other cat is a sofa-lover who will happily stand up for herself (she's put us in our place before now!)

Hope this is useful - please don't say we're not suitable owners :eek: ...we're committed to getting a whippet and will welcome the new addition into a very loving, pet-friendly home.

Best

2LF

2LeftFeet said:
Hi All
Thanks for welcoming me here!

OK, a bit about us.  We (me, OH and 2 14 yo cats) live in a quiet cul-de-sac which backs out onto woodland and fields - perfect dog-walking area.  Our house is a smallish 2 bed semi, but we do have front and back gardens and could definitely make room to welcome a dog into our house.  :D  

Each of us grew up with dogs, but we've not had one together before...it wasn't really practical as I was working long hours, 6 days a week and my OH was working as a rep.  Now, my OH is a landscape gardener so he's out and about in the locality and I've gone down to 3 days a week at work (yay!)  Obviously, a primary concern is what to do when we're both out at work.  There's various options - OH could take the dog out with him - plenty of opportunity for walks, company and fresh air.  Alternatively (eg if it was a very hot day), the dog could stay at home and he could come back twice to let her out...so making sure she wasn't left for more than 3 hours at a time.  If that's not suitable, my in-laws, who live less than a mile away, have 2 very chilled Bassett hounds, and are happy to have a day-time visitor. 

We're quite out-doors people and tend to take holidays in the UK - renting a cottage in the countryside - we're looking forward to taking our dog away with us.

Puppies are cute - there's no 2 ways about it.  I melt, every time I see one!  That said, we would be happy to take a young dog, or a rescue.  My main concern is that whatever whippet we get can get on with the cats.  We'll put a gate at the bottom of the stairs and don't intend to let the dog upstairs - one of the cats is almost blind and she spends most of her time upstairs - she may find it hard to understand what's going on and needs to have somewhere to hide...which is another reason we don't necessarily want a puppy.  The other cat is a sofa-lover who will happily stand up for herself (she's put us in our place before now!)

Hope this is useful - please don't say we're not suitable owners :eek: ...we're committed to getting a whippet and will welcome the new addition into a very loving, pet-friendly home.

Best

2LF

I think that sounds a lovely life for a Whippet, you've obviously thought long and hard about it and waited until your situation is right.

I'm sure with sensible and careful introduction your cats will be ok - if a little miffed!

Good luck :luck:

Welcome to k9 :thumbsup: Good luck in finding the right whippet :luck: :luck:

daledogs said:
Welcome to k9 :thumbsup: Good luck in finding the right whippet :luck:   :luck:
In US rescue (WRAP), the dogs are tested to see if they are cat-safe--maybe the same for JR Rescue in UK too? And if you were getting a younger dog that had been with its breeder for a while (post-show-career), and the breeder had cats, then you'd know then too--you can definitely find a cat-safe whippet, but it might take a bit longer.

Once you have one, I'll bet another follows within a year--they really are like potato chips!! :)

--Paula D. (owned by two non-cat-safe rescue whippets)

Welcome to K9 ,

I took back one of the whippets id bred and was told she wasnt cat safe (w00t) . I have one laid back cat called Floyd . Needles to say Maddie showed no intention of chasing him and now in her new home she lives with 3 cats and show no sign of chasing them , ( and she been there nearly a year )

Those ears (w00t) :D

Also meant to add .

You can never have one whippet for long

2LeftFeet said:
Hope this is useful - please don't say we're not suitable owners :eek: ...we're committed to getting a whippet and will welcome the new addition into a very loving, pet-friendly home.Best

2LF
Hi 2LF! I think you sound like you are perfect candidates to be adopted by a whippet! :D You really have chosen the most wonderful breed. We got Blue (he's just over 1 now) as a pup and have a seven year old cat - we haven't had any problems but Hoshi, the cat, does keep out of Blue's way most of the time! I'm really envious when i see other folk on here posting lovely pics of their cat cuddled up with their whippet. Of course, Blue is still a young reprobate so maybe in time I'll find them snuggled up together! :huggles: Blue has never tried to hurt Hoshi ... he's just a bit too bouncy for him!

I'm not sure what the best advice is about a pup or a slightly older dog for your circumstances. On one hand, a pup will come into the house and grow up with cats so should (hopefully!) just accept them as part of the family. On the other hand, pups are just like tigger ... bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, bouncy, fun fun fun fun fun - and that might be too much for your older cat.

Whatever you decide I wish you lots of luck in your search for a whippet :luck: and I'm sure you'll soon be wondering how you ever managed to live without one.

Please keep us all posted on your progress - and lots of pics of your new whippie when he or she arrives. What about posting some pics of your cats in the meantime - we love seeing photos on here!

:cheers:

Jill

x

Edited to say: just read Hely's post and this lad sounds like he'd be great with your cats. good luck in your search :luck:

Hi all

Thanks for the comments and advice. I think we're sorted now with what we want to do. Although a rescue is tempting, we'd rather have a puppy, then we can introduce to the cats when the pup is the same size as them and make it clear that cat-chasing is a no-no! I'm hopeful that our cuddly cat may even curl up with the whippet - pictures of your whippets with their cat-buddies are so cute!

We're planning to get the puppy in the spring (March/April); definitely a bitch, probably brindle.

Oh yes, and EVERYONE has said that one whippie isn't enough (including my OH!) We'll start with one and see where we go from here ;)

Keep y'all posted

Thanks!

2LF

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back