The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A problem with my scotty

Narrowboat K9

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I have an eight year old Male Scottish Terrier, he is my world, but we all say that don't we?

He is suffering at the moment with a badly swollen rectum, he was struggling to pass stools,

but that has now been eased after the vet gave me Lactose. She also prescribed Steroids and

penicillin for him. She was at a loss as to what it is. On asking her if she thought it may be a tumour,

she said she couldn't say it wasn't, because it was an all round swelling? It's all on the inside and his

rectum is bulging and swollen on the outside too. He lets me clean his bottom ok, but it does seem to

causing him discomfort. Has anybody any ideas of what it could be, or if their Dog has suffered similar?

Does the dog tend to smell from the rear end even after you have cleaned him up?

If so you might ask the vet about his anal glands which can fill up with a quite obnoxious fluid and cause the dog irritation. If this proves to be the problem the vet should be able to relieve the the problem quite simply by sqeezing the glands (from the outside)and thus emptying them and providing instant relief..

I am surprised that the vet hasn't mentioned this problem as it is quite common and quickly remedied.

Worth asking about.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back