The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Adopted little dog

Dana1981

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I took a dog. It is probably in the elderly, but it is quite snappy and willing to take walks.

However, the home is a bit lost or shy. After the leave he will be alone at home and I worry about loneliness.

Maybe someone will tell me how to help him acclimatize and pass the time of separation when I'm at work?

Any tips welcome

Is there something that makes you think he will be upset when you leave? Dogs who are used to being alone, especially older ones, usually settle for a sleep.

You can make sure he is physically and mentally tired, by having taken him for a walk first and done some training.

You can leave him with something long lasting to eat, such as food stuffed into a Kong toy and frozen.

You can leave a radio on low.

How long do you have to leave him for?

That is a long, long time for a dog to be alone, partly for loneliness (dogs are social animals) but also just for holding his toilet. Can you get a dog walker to call in a couple of times a day or could a friend or family member call in and take him out or spend time with him?

Yes, a radio or TV left on, even if for a few hours (if you have sleep mode on), might be nice for the dog! Otherwise I'd make sure they have a comfy bed with toys, stuffies, etc. to have as their own are to be comfortable while you're gone, and I'd leave some kind of thing that can keep them busy for a little - such as a Kong frozen with peanut butter, plain yogurt and berries, broth, etc. Granted, I have several dogs, but they sometimes are left alone from 6:30am-4pm depending on our work schedule, and do just fine. They chew on their chews and sleep, basically.

Wow personally I think 9 hours is far too long to leave a dog by themselves. Even if you did leave lots of enrichment and radio company.

Can you not invest in a dog walker to break up the day?

I took a dog. It is probably in the elderly, but it is quite snappy and willing to take walks.

However, the home is a bit lost or shy. After the leave he will be alone at home and I worry about loneliness.

Maybe someone will tell me how to help him acclimatize and pass the time of separation when I'm at work?

Any tips welcome
9 hours isn't too bad but i would recommend having a sitter/walker come in and walk/sit him/.... I leave Olive for 8 hours

I may have said this before but if anyone this is 7, 8, 9 hours is ok, please try sitting in a room with no tv, no reading material, no other stimulation and no access to a toilet. And no clock or watch to allow you to assess how much time has passed. Then come back and tell us how long is acceptable to leave a social animal alone.

I feel very strongly about this to. I never leave Dennis more than 4 hours at a time and if I am away he has a dog walker for the whole day who takes him with her.

I may have said this before but if anyone this is 7, 8, 9 hours is ok, please try sitting in a room with no tv, no reading material, no other stimulation and no access to a toilet. And no clock or watch to allow you to assess how much time has passed. Then come back and tell us how long is acceptable to leave a social animal alone.
I have done this before and it was for 6 hours, i was very calm by the end of it

I have done this before and it was for 6 hours, i was very calm by the end of it

Then you are very unusual, because that is not normal. Most dog organisations, such as the RSPCA and Dogs Trust, and other experts advise that dogs shouldn't be left for longer than four hours, or six at the very most. You have said yourself that you're not experienced with dogs, so just you leave your dog for that long and she seems OK doesn't make it OK for dogs in general.

Then you are very unusual, because that is not normal. Most dog organisations, such as the RSPCA and Dogs Trust, and other experts advise that dogs shouldn't be left for longer than four hours, or six at the very most. You have said yourself that you're not experienced with dogs, so just you leave your dog for that long and she seems OK doesn't make it OK for dogs in general.
I'm not experienced when have i said this? i have much experience with dogs I've had dogs, cats horses etc. all my life: how am i not experienced ?

The longest I’ve ever left my girls was 5 hours ...I even started to panic as I felt I’d left them too long....sat in traffic on the M25 trying to think if I could call someone to check on them but doors would have been locked at home ! So I’m letting all the burglars know a door will be left open just in case...:D:D

I've got a full time job. I need it for stuff like rent and dog food so I'm afraid Kay will just have to stomach the boredom until I win the lottery. :D She sleeps at home while I work for 9 hours, who's really got it worse? :p

Dogs are social animals so the less alone time they have the better. In an ideal world I'd be sat at home all day and Kay would never be alone, but I live on earth and it's not that ideal :p

I'm not experienced when have i said this? i have much experience with dogs I've had dogs, cats horses etc. all my life: how am i not experienced ?

I could have sworn you'd said that in an earlier post - apologies if I misremembered.

Sounds cute, I've left the radio on for a newcomer to my home before... keeps him occupied rather than chewing everything in his path

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back