The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Adopting last in litter!

Debshar

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi i enquired about a litter recently and there’s only one pup available out of 5! I’ve been sent videos and pics and the pup looks adorable, healthy and energetic & Im really drawn to him but I can’t help wondering why he’s last to be picked! It’s a 4 hour journey to go visit first and I’m scared I get there and fall in love with one of the others! What’s everyone’s thoughts on taking on the last available pup! When I went to visit & choose my last dog, she picked me! Am I just being sentimental wanting the same experience?

I think you can overthink the decision. Some people might have gone for the liveliest one, or the calmest one, or the one that just happened to go over to them, and on a different day a different puppy might have felt livelier/calmer/friendlier. If you think that this litter is just what you have been looking for (health checked, the right breed, a bit of due diligence to check for evidence of puppy farming: Puppy Farming), I would make that 4-hour trip - it's not that much compared with the impact of choosing the 'wrong' dog. Just be prepared to make the decision to look elsewhere if you're not sure the pup is right for you.

There will always be a first puppy to go and a last puppy to go. This does not mean that there is something wrong with the last puppy, it is just one of those things.
The colour may not be right or it may be the right colour but the wrong sex.
As JudyN has mentioned, puppies can have different moods on different days, and different people like different characteristics too.

Remember to enquire about health checks and DNA testing if appropriate for your breed. Parents, BVA eye tests, DNA tests, Hip and elbow tests, are any of these required for your chosen breed. Vet checks have no actual value other than stating that your puppy is fit and well at the time of purchase. Unlike some of the above mentioned tests which are life long.
If the puppy and breeder do not seem right, then don't buy it. You are bound to find the right puppy and breeder, just don't rush.

Hi i enquired about a litter recently and there’s only one pup available out of 5! I’ve been sent videos and pics and the pup looks adorable, healthy and energetic & Im really drawn to him but I can’t help wondering why he’s last to be picked! It’s a 4 hour journey to go visit first and I’m scared I get there and fall in love with one of the others! What’s everyone’s thoughts on taking on the last available pup! When I went to visit & choose my last dog, she picked me! Am I just being sentimental wanting the same experience?
I'm in similar situation so many scares.Say to your self he might be waiting for just you.

I'm looking for a female cavachon. Sorry if I've put in wrong section I'm still trying to understand

I'm looking for a female cavachon. Sorry if I've put in wrong section I'm still trying to understand
Please be extremely careful sourcing a cavachon.

Cavaliers in particular can suffer from some really nasty congenital conditions (heart problems, syringomyelia) that good breeders try to eliminate through responsible breeding like carrying out health tests and careful selection of parents. Good breeders do tests on their breeding dogs (proper tests, not just checks to say the dog is capable of siring/carrying a litter) to breed out these conditions.

Unfortunately with the popularity of these crosses there are many puppy farmers who are more interested in exploiting buyers than the long term health of the puppies they are selling; and pet owners who think it would be lovely to have mini versions of their own pets but lack the understanding of responsible breeding.

It used to be believed that crossbreeds had the best of both breeds and health problems were 'bred out' but in fact you could well get a puppy who has inherited health defects from both parents. So crossing, for example, a cavalier with a poodle or bichon, you could get a puppy who has heart problems from the cavalier side and hip dysplasia from the poodle side. Both sides could have eye problems and these could cause long term pain and distress to the dog and the owner to incur on going expensive vet bills. Marilyn Munro allegedly once suggested to Albert Einstein that if they had babies they would be amazing with her beauty and his brains. Einstein allegedly replied how awful it would be if it were the other way round. You get the picture!

There are some responsible breeders of crossbreeds and that is a good thing. But they are very few and you may have to search extensively to find one.

Have you considered a poodle or a bichon? They can be sourced with far less risk. If it is the look of the traditional poodle that puts you off, they can be left in a shaggy clip that has the look of the popular crossbreeds.

You might find these articles helpful too.

Animal Welfare Site

What Does a Puppy Farm REALLY Look Like? Could YOU tell?

Definitely try and go away from the designer crosses ...my friend bought what she thought was a cava poo....supposedly saw mum ....she has now found out her girl who is lovely is actually a cockapoo and the person was sourcing pups from a puppy farm and pretending they were her bitches pups ...so be very careful ....
My uncle has always had bichons and they have all been fabulous dogs ;)

Yes I know only to well.read Blossom I'm not just a puppy on face book. She's now nearly 4.I understand all the problems with mixes but honestly shes a darling. I am so dobies on different things now one of the reasons I've come on here to ask questions.

Im Blossom image.jpg

I'm in similar situation so many scares.Say to your self he might be waiting for just you.
Oh my heart! I’ve thought that too!! I’m going to meet him tomorrow & there’s actually another came available in his litter but I have a feeling he’s my doggie!! X

Oh my heart! I’ve thought that too!! I’m going to meet him tomorrow & there’s actually another came available in his litter but I have a feeling he’s my doggie!! X
Exciting good luck.

I hope your breeder is a good one, but remember that 'last one left' is also a sales gimmick for the unscrupulous, so that people think aaaah can't let him be left over. That doesn't mean that it is so - even good breeders get one left over from time to time - just a reminder to leave your heart at home and buy with your brain.

Good luck, and I hope you get a lovely healthy pup.

Thanks everyone for your useful advice! Went to visit litter yesterday and fell in love with the wee boy. Another had became available so we did have a choice but chose original as he just felt right. I was really impressed with the breeder too, who was kind, caring and knowledgeable! We also were shown the kc paperwork so im quite confident everything is in order. I’m calling her today to confirm we are taking him but im not sure how best to pay for him as I didn’t leave a deposit yesterday! Do I bank transfer deposit & then transfer balance on pick up? We pick him up next week. Any advice on this please? Thanks

I'd say leave a paper trail and get a receipt at the time. A decent breeder won't mind at all.

When we bought the deerhounds we sent the deposit via bank transfer and the day we collected each one we paid the remainder via phone app when we were there:)

When we bought the deerhounds we sent the deposit via bank transfer and the day we collected each one we paid the remainder via phone app when we were there:)
Great that’s what I was thinking too! Thanks

Sadly people who breed this cross rarely do any health testing & as both breeds have the same & different health issues it is madness to breed them together & give the pups a silly name.
All breeding dogs should be hip & elbow scored & have all available clinical & DNA done as well regardless of what breed they are.
All toy breeds because they have been miniaturised have similar health issues & no amount of crossbreed can produce the "hybrid"vigour crossbreed breeders claim

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back