The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice For A Potential Dog Owner?

Nicky Co.

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Myself and my husband have always wanted a dog, but we were/are worried it wouldn't be fair on one because we both work.

Having chatted to several dog owners who work recently, we're starting to wonder if its possible to juggle both - obviously with a lot of planning and work to make sure our dog would have the best life we could offer him/her!

Our next door neighbour is home all day, and cannot have a dog herself due to problems with her daughter, but would love one, as would her 11 year old son. She has said if we did have a dog, she would go round every day and spend time with him while we are working, as would her son. We were also planning on putting in a dog door so he could go in the garden whenever he wants, as we have high walls on both sides, and a high gate at the bottom that we could lock to stop people getting to him.

Obviously we would go for walks both before and after work as well as what our neighbour would give him - we live in cornwall so have lots of nearby beaches, fields, woods etc, and he would never want for attention while we were with him, especially as neither of us go to bed particularly early!

Do you think this arrangement would be acceptable for a whippet, for as much as we both want a dog, I wouldn't want to do it if it wouldn't be fair on him?

If we did get a whippie we would take a couple of weeks off to settle him into his new home, but after that, since there would still be some time alone involved, I presume it would be best to take in a dog at least a year old - I've scoured the FAQ and understand we wouldn't be suitable for a puppy!

Any advice appreciated!

I think you will be able to give a dog a good home (but think carefully about neighbours - both that you trust them and that you won't be utterly dependent on them). Why not talk it over with someone from JR whippet rescue or dog's trust or other reliable rescue group (I think they will advise even if you are getting a dog from elsewhere)?

This might sound silly but you would probably be better with two Whippies as they love the company of each other. They love to cuddle up toghether and keep each other happy when you or your neighbour are not around.

But they need to be past the pup & teenager stage or they could get into mischief! :lol:

Happy Humber said:
This might sound silly but you would probably be better with two Whippies as they love the company of each other. They love to cuddle up toghether and keep each other happy when you or your neighbour are not around.But  they need to be past the pup & teenager stage or they could get into mischief! :lol:

mischief your blooming right ther this is what my two did in 2hours of being left ..needles to say iv got crates now and have had no probs since

P3130013.jpg

and the day or soo before :- "

P3120005.jpg

but dont let that put you of because the love they give is amazing if i had a big enoughs house id have 10 by now :- "

You must be realistic with the work situation and think what would happen if your neighbour (or yourselves) moved or they were unable to do this for you any longer. Is there a dog walkers near you, for example?

A dog can live for roughly 15 years, it's a long term commitment that has to be seriously thought about. I'm pleased to see that you are carefully condsidering it. :thumbsup:

Good luck. :luck:

Macha said:
I think you will be able to give a dog a good home (but think carefully about neighbours - both that you trust them and that you won't be utterly dependent on them). Why not talk it over with someone from JR whippet rescue or dog's trust or other reliable rescue group (I think they will advise even if you are getting a dog from elsewhere)?
Yes, I think we can trust our neighbour - we are really good friends and in and out of each others houses! Hopefully we wouldn't be totally dependent on them as we also have other good friends who live nearby that will be willing to help if necessary - one works part-time and has a whippet cross herself, who I'm sure would love to have a friend over to play from time to time!

My husband works walking distance from our house so could be there quickly if neeed, and as for me, well I work flexi-time, and have a really great boss who has 5 pets of her own, so would be pretty understanding if I need time off.

Thanks for the tip about JR whippet rescue - I'll give them a call. One of my concerns was actually finding a whippet, as on most of the rescue sites I've been on it seems to be all collies and staffies! Also doesn't seem to be much locally, and whilst I'm happy to travel as far as necessary, wasn't sure if rescue places were local only as I thought they had to check your house was suitable?

Evie said:
You must be realistic with the work situation and think what would happen if your neighbour (or yourselves) moved or they were unable to do this for you any longer.  Is there a dog walkers near you, for example?A dog can live for roughly 15 years, it's a long term commitment that has to be seriously thought about.  I'm pleased to see that you are carefully condsidering it.  :thumbsup:

Good luck.  :luck:

Thanks - I hadn't realised there were such things as dog walkers - I'll look into it!

I'm hoping to start a family in the next few years and therefore reduce my hours at work, or maybe even go for a career change - I work to live not the other way round!

I understand this is a long-term committment - I'm a worrier and never do anything until I've looked at it from every possible angle, which drives my husband mad! Rest assured I won't do anything until I'm really really sure about it.

Taking on another member of the family is a big responsibility - our cockatiel is 14 years old and hand reared - getting to be a very old lady now. I also have to work out whether a dog and a cockatiel would be compatible - anyone any experience of this?

Welcome to K9.

I'd definitely consider a dog walker. Arrangements to animal sit amongst friends, family and neighbours usually start off with the best intentions, but you'll find it's quite a commitment and promises will be broken along the way and you wouldn't want to fall out with a neighbour! Maybe use the services of a dog walker every other day, so it doesn't become a daily burden for your neighbour?

I think you'll be OK. Routine is the key, and ensuring someone comes in half way through the day to take them for a quick walk, to help break up a long day. I'd say two whippets rather than one as well, for company.

Good luck :luck:

Nicky Co. said:
Evie said:
You must be realistic with the work situation and think what would happen if your neighbour (or yourselves) moved or they were unable to do this for you any longer.  Is there a dog walkers near you, for example?A dog can live for roughly 15 years, it's a long term commitment that has to be seriously thought about.  I'm pleased to see that you are carefully condsidering it.  :thumbsup:

Good luck.  :luck:

Thanks - I hadn't realised there were such things as dog walkers - I'll look into it!

I'm hoping to start a family in the next few years and therefore reduce my hours at work, or maybe even go for a career change - I work to live not the other way round!

I understand this is a long-term committment - I'm a worrier and never do anything until I've looked at it from every possible angle, which drives my husband mad! Rest assured I won't do anything until I'm really really sure about it.

Taking on another member of the family is a big responsibility - our cockatiel is 14 years old and hand reared - getting to be a very old lady now. I also have to work out whether a dog and a cockatiel would be compatible - anyone any experience of this?

good luck in whatever you decide :luck: at least you are being sensible,and looking in to it first :thumbsup:

I have a African Grey parrot and he get on fine with the dogs.

Hiya, I think you are sounding a lovely home but have to agree that its a lot to ask of friends and neighbours, okay for a while but if the dog is usued to a lunchtime walk or company he would be distressed if for any reason they didnt come, and dont forget he is not their dog so wont be their first priority.

I work full time but come home at lunchtime everyday and also have more than one whippet

Can I also add i would never leave a dog or puppy in a crate if i wasnt in the house as puppies have been known to get their teeth and jaws or feet stuck between the bars, at night when you are at home you will hear the screams if you are out you cant.

Puppies and adults trash, so put valuables and dangerous things away, after all we dont put human babies in a cage we take care and we expect TRASHING

Good luck :luck: Jan

2 whippies instead of one is better idea.They really do keep each other company.We had 3 pups at the same time.2 whippie litter mate boys and scarlett -hungarian viszla.Many peeps thought we were mad! We agreed at times lol.However they play together sleep together and eat together.

A crate is a must.Having pups left in home alone ,even with gates on doors is like leaving 2 year old unsupervised.

We have loads of info if you want tips.Just send me a pm and will let u know.

Best info we had was a cd about new pups from a dog behaviourist,we listened to it in our car.Only cost me 7 quid!!! (w00t) (w00t) Best 7 quid I ever spent. (w00t)

P.S Like I say if u want further info "How We Survived The 3 Hairy Kids!!" :cheers:

PM ME

JAX

I think a working home, so long as you have someone reliable to come in during the day to break up the time and give the dog(s) a loo break can be fine for the right dog.

Personally I would go for an older dog in that situation rather than a pup. Young pups are like babies and really need someone around most of the time.

Well done for thinking it all through, and good luck if you decide to go ahead! :luck:

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated! I think it is looking possible still which is great!

Several people have suggested getting two dogs, which I would be happy with, but as we would be looking for a dog over the age of 1 year, I presume we're restricted to rescue centres, so may not be able to get two from the offset. Will this be a problem i.e if there is a gap before we get a second dog, will the first accept the newcomer? Would a rescue centre allow us to bring our first dog with us to meet the prospective newcomer to see if they will be friends, or do whippets generally get on well anyway - I see many people on here have several!

We haven't rung whippet rescue yet as we don't want to get tempted into having a dog straight away if they say they have some available! I don't want to rush into anything, and also need a little time to finish making a lawn for them to use!

Well, speaking with a rescue hat on, homes willing to take two dogs are like gold dust. It is very hard to home pairs of dogs, and rescues are often faced with the heartbreaking choice of splitting up dogs who have always been together, or keeping them together knowing they may wait in rescue for a long time for a suitable home.

There is an article written by one of the Oldies Club committee members http://www.oldies.org.uk/?p=1100 here about her experience adopting two dogs. Obviously we deal with older (7+) dogs, but the main points apply to any age.

However whippets are (thank goodness) not very common in rescue, so if your heart is set on pure whippets then the chances of finding two together realistically aren't great.

If you take two dogs separately then it is probably best to give the first dog a good time to settle and bond with you before introducing a second dog; I would say at least three months. Any good rescue centre would insist you introduce a new dog to your existing dog to see how they get along before adopting.

Last edited by a moderator:
imperative said:
2 whippies instead of one is better idea.They really do keep each other company.We had 3 pups at the same time.2 whippie litter mate boys and scarlett -hungarian viszla.Many peeps thought we were mad! We agreed at times lol.However they play together sleep together and eat together.A crate is a must.Having pups left in home alone ,even with gates on doors is like leaving 2 year old unsupervised.

We have loads of info if you want tips.Just send me a pm and will let u know.

Best info we had was a cd about new pups from a dog behaviourist,we listened to it in our car.Only cost me 7 quid!!! (w00t)   (w00t)   Best 7 quid I ever spent. (w00t)

P.S Like I say if u want further info "How We Survived The 3 Hairy Kids!!" :cheers:

PM ME

JAX

Whatever did we do before CAGES were invented with these marauding pups?

Hi,

you seem really sensible and obviously are looking into this in great detail :thumbsup: Good luck in whatever you decide to do :luck: :luck: you will always find good advice on here should you need it :thumbsup:

Hi there,

It is great that you are looking at it from each angle. Very sensible of you - every potential dog owner should be like you.

Regarding the crates - we got our whippet when he was 7 1/2 weeks old, he was never crated and I have to say we never had any major problems with him. He was allowed in our bedroom and the hall (the safest rooms for the puppy - no plants to reach, any cables etc.) Therefore if you restrict the area the puppy can stay in and make it puppy-safe, you can avoid putting him to the crate.

I am not very keen in keeping dogs in crates. Sure it is nicer for dogs to have some space while they are home on they own.

Good luck with your search…

maria

I would definitely agree with having 2 whippets if you're working during the day.

My first whippet came as a friend for a greyhound - then after a change in home circumstances I found myself with just Digit on his own.

This never seemed fair, and although he was always fine on his own (ie nothing trashed) I didn't think this could be a nice life for him.

But

I needed a second dog who would be his friend rather than just a rival to tolerate. This needed a lot of careful thought, and actually took a long time - but luckily for me, his best mate needed a new home and Bloggs finally came to live with us at Easter.

....any good rescue centre will be more than happy for you to take your dog to meet potential newbies, I expect most of them wish everyone would do that rather than returning a dog a week or so later as it doesn't get on with their old one! (or even worse, handing in the old dog for being grumpy coz the puppy's just soooooo cute)

I don't think it's anthropomorphising too much to suggest that Dij's much happier with his mate as company while I'm not in. After all they are pack animals and now he's left in the den with another pack member while Big Alpha Urchin goes a-hunting, he can't have that confusing sense of being abandoned.

The next change I'm making is around where I'm living; I've just bought a house with a huge garden and am going to make them an outdoor day run so that they can prat about to their hearts content.................

Which I guess is a roundabout way of saying - Prepare for your whippet/s to completely change your life for you :D

:cheers: Hi there and welcome to K9. I only live a couple of miles from you in Redruth and have 4 whippets. I also work so if you wanted to get in touch and come over and meet the gang you would be most welcome. :D

muttz said:
:cheers: Hi there and welcome to K9.  I only live a couple of miles from you in Redruth and have 4 whippets.  I also work so if you wanted to get in touch and come over and meet the gang you would be most welcome.   :D
Thanks, I tried to send you a pm but not sure if it worked (not in sent items)...

Would love to meet yourself and your dogs at some point if thats still okay, as haven't had the luck to meet many whippies (or their owners) yet! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back