The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice needed on what product is best for detangling fur. Advice needed at where i should start?

Scattymare

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi i am a newbie here and hope im commenting on the correct page if im not then please let me know.. Anyway im in a bit of a pickle as my 6month old 'Cavapuli' (Ckcs XC Hungarian Puli XC Poodle) coat has started to matt. His 1st time at the groomers when he was about 4 months old didn't go too well at all,that's another story! The groomer bathed and dried him and just trimmed around his eyes and intimate areas but wouldn't do a full cut as he had to be 6month old. Now at 6months he's starting to matt and has matt balls behind each ear and i have come across a few more here and there whilst brushing him. So what im after is either recommendations for a product that will help me loosen up these knots or should i just shave him but if i do shave him then surely to get rid of any knots id have to shave him right back wouldn't i? This is the 1st time for me having a dog that looks like an oversized cotton bud as iv always had very short haired dogs and could really do with some advice on where i should start.
Thankyou in advance ☺️

Attachments

• 20240820_203450.jpg
    20240820_203450.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 569
I sympathise, that combination of coat types sounds like a nightmare. There are commercial detangling products you can buy - probably at places like Pets at Home or online. It might be easier in the long run to keep him clipped really short - matts aren't just unsightly, they cause the hair to pull on the skin, so they are uncomfortable or even painful.

If you are happy with your groomer, they are the best person to ask. They may have access to detangling products that are not sold by everyday retailers.

I used a Furminator on my semi-longhaired cat as he hated having his 'nooks & crannies' groomed. It worked really well, helping to shift matts and removing enough undercoat to make a whole new cat. I honestly couldn't comment on whether it's wise to use one on on your pup, so this is just something you might want to investigate rather than a recommendation.

I sympathise, that combination of coat types sounds like a nightmare. There are commercial detangling products you can buy - probably at places like Pets at Home or online. It might be easier in the long run to keep him clipped really short - matts aren't just unsightly, they cause the hair to pull on the skin, so they are uncomfortable or even painful.
My intentions are to clip him short and keep him that way as iv already got a top notch clippers but im just not sure if i need a product to help me de-tangle before i clip him otherwise without getting the matts out ill have to clip him RIGHT BACK to the scalp im guessing?

I'd still try to find a groomer who will take things really slowly and gently. That coat combination is going to be quite challenging. If you can build a strong relationship with a good groomer, it really will make things a lot easier - even if it lets you do 'in between' clips but lets them take care of the tricky stuff, at least until you know what you are doing.

I used a furminator years ago and it ruined my dogs coat ...
The groomi tool is great and literally just takes the dead coat ...
I agree with Joannef and I would still take your pup to the groomers ..I bought the best clippers but never made my dog look as good as the groomer

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back