The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice Needed - Possible Heart Murmur

LurcherLizzie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

I am new and wish I had found this board under better circumstances.

My beloved Asha developed a cough on Friday last week, I took her to the vets on Saturday morning and they suspect she has a heart murmur. She is booked in to see a cardiologist on Wednesday morning to run some tests and x-ray her. She has been given a course of antibiotics incase the cough is an infection and it has thankfully eased a bit since the weekend. She is still eating and is her bright and her usual skippy self. She does pant quite heavily at times, not after exercise but when she is in her bed. She has done this for years but I have always but this down to her being hot, I really hope if it is a murmur it is not something I should have picked up on earlier.

Asha is 9 1/2 and still runs about like she is 6 months old. She loves to show off down the park, beach or any open space, running and turning quickly like a mad thing. She basically lives to outrun her brother and had not slowed down over the years.

I know she has not had the tests yet and the vet did say there is lots of very good medication available which would ensure she maintains a good quality of life but I wondered if anyone had a similar experience or has any suggestions. I know it is early days and we don't have a complete diagnosis yet but as you can imagine I am devestated that my girl could be poorly. The vet also mentioned a possibility of heart attacks. Since we went to the vets I have not let her off her lead, just walked her around the park which she has not been happy about. I don't want to stop her doing her favourite activity as she lives to run but I am concerned something might happen.

Thanks for your time and any comments would be gratefully received.

Lizzie

Ask your vet to test for lung worm as the parasite from that can cause the heart to have iregular heart beat and even cause a heart murmor to develop.

It also cause a bad cough due to the heart and lungs being comprmised.

This is what happened to one of mine and after intensive treatment and lots of TLC she recovered and is back to full health.

Keeping everything crossed for you. :luck:

BTW welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
hellybobs said:
Ask your vet to test for lung worm as the parasite from that can cause the heart to have iregular heart beat and even cause a heart murmor to develop.
It also cause a bad cough due to the heart and lungs being comprmised.

This is what happened to one of mine and after intensive treatment and lots of TLC she recovered and is back to full health.

Keeping everything crossed for you. :luck:

BTW welcome to the forum.

Thanks hellybobs, I will be sure to ask them to test for lung worm too. I am pleased to hear yours has made a full recovery. :D

I understand you're worried, but a heart murmur often isn't as serious as it sounds. Lots of dogs have murmurs that never cause them any problems or require any medication.

Two of mine have murmurs, one mild, one severe (Grade 5). Neither of them are affected at all, they both exercise normally and can run like loonies for a couple of hours without any problems.

The vet has been very reassuring that if they do start to have any problems (which may never happen) that there is excellent heart medication available and most dogs respond very well to treatment.

Good luck, anyway, I hope more tests show there is nothing too serious to worry about :luck:

hope the tests come back ok. :huggles:

i wouldnt worry too much though, West Tip the racehorse had a heart murmour an won the grandnational! and placed in grand national one or two times after too (w00t)

LurcherLizzie said:
Hello,
I am new and wish I had found this board under better circumstances. 

My beloved Asha developed a cough on Friday last week, I took her to the vets on Saturday morning and they suspect she has a heart murmur.  She is booked in to see a cardiologist on Wednesday morning to run some tests and x-ray her.  She has been given a course of antibiotics incase the cough is an infection and it has thankfully eased a bit since the weekend.  She is still eating and is her bright and her usual skippy self.  She does pant quite heavily at times, not after exercise but when she is in her bed.  She has done this for years but I have always but this down to her being hot, I really hope if it is a murmur it is not something I should have picked up on earlier.

Asha is 9 1/2 and still runs about like she is 6 months old.  She loves to show off down the park, beach or any open space, running and turning quickly like a mad thing. She basically lives to outrun her brother and had not slowed down over the years.

I know she has not had the tests yet and the vet did say there is lots of very good medication available which would ensure she maintains a good quality of life but I wondered if anyone had a similar experience or has any suggestions.  I know it is early days and we don't have a complete diagnosis yet but as you can imagine I am devestated that my girl could be poorly.  The vet also mentioned a possibility of heart attacks.  Since we went to the vets I have not let her off her lead, just walked her around the park which she has not been happy about.  I don't want to stop her doing her favourite activity as she lives to run but I am concerned something might happen. 

Thanks for your time and any comments would be gratefully received.

Lizzie

hi hunny

firstly wecome to the site, im sorry to hear your little girl has been unwell.

i hope it helps when i say that my jack russell has had a heart murmur for the last 9 years, she developed it when she was 2 years old and she is nearly 11 now and still fighting fit. she has never needed medication for it and can still out run most of the dogs in the park, and she has never had any major ill effect from it except a bit of a cough if she has over exerted herself.

if ur girl dose have one its not the end of the world, she will still live a full and happy life.

hope this helps

emma

Thanks for all the comments people :) :huggles: It really did help to hear positive things and experiences, like with everything I guess the fear of the unknown is worse than the thing itself.

Asha had an ECG, X-Ray and blood test today. They have scaled the murmer as a 4 and the X-Rays and Scan show that she has some enlargement of the left hand side of her heart. The think the valve between the left ventricle and atrium is not working aswell as it should be.

The blood test show all her other organs to be in good working order :) :)

She has been perscribed Fortekor and we have to go back in 2 weeks to see how she is getting on. Apart from looking like 6 year old has been let loose on her with a shaver (patches on both front legs and either side of her heart) is is perky and happy to be home.

I feel relieved as although I would rather she was a puppy again, showing no signs of age, she still has plenty more life left in her yet :) :) :)

Thanks again people :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back