The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice needed!

Vikki

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a lovely Cocker Spaniel called Aston. She has just had an operation to remove her anal glands and has already had to return to the vets as some of her stitches have come out. She has a cone on to stop her nibbling her stitches but it is very difficult to stop her scooting ( which is the other way the stitches can be damaged). Any advice would be welcome....please!!

The poor girl, she must be so uncomfortable.

Would it help to put her in a pair of pants (back-to-front boxers?) and confine her to a smooth-floored area to limit the damage? Something thicker - dog nappies? - might protect her even more but check with your vet first as it might be vital to keep the area well aired.

An alternative would be a whole lot of 'training'/attention, rewarding her for standing, lying down, and pretty anything that prevents the scooting, but that could be exhausting for everyone. And to be honest, if it was me, no amount of distraction would stop me scratching an itchy bum eventually :oops:

The poor girl, she must be so uncomfortable.

Would it help to put her in a pair of pants (back-to-front boxers?) and confine her to a smooth-floored area to limit the damage? Something thicker - dog nappies? - might protect her even more but check with your vet first as it might be vital to keep the area well aired.

An alternative would be a whole lot of 'training'/attention, rewarding her for standing, lying down, and pretty anything that prevents the scooting, but that could be exhausting for everyone. And to be honest, if it was me, no amount of distraction would stop me scratching an itchy bum eventually :oops:
Thank you....good advice. I will try the pants and as u say surely a smooth floor won't do much damage. When I go back to the vets I will ask about training pads too!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back