The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice on Bilious Vomitting Syndrome?

Max's Mum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, this is my first post and I'm hoping to get some advice on the cause of my dog's stomach problem. His name is Max, a spaniel/lab and he is around 12 years and was a rescue dog who we've now owned for almost 11 years. Around 4 years ago he had a bout of pancreatitis and then again at the end of last year. Since then he seems to have off days where he wakes in the morning and doesn't want to eat, sometimes he brings up frothy white/yellow bile/mucus and his stomach squeaks and gurgles. Once you get him eating he is fine but it seems to be happening more often. A month or so ago we took him to vets and he had blood tests all of which came back clear, no signs of pancreatitis or liver problems. After discussions with the vet we decided to change his feeding pattern and give him a good meal last thing at night and in the morning and then a couple more smaller meals during the day. This seemed to work at first but now we seem to be back to where we were. Today he hasn't eaten, stomach squeaking, has vomited frothy mucus and won't even be tempted by his favourite white fish. Any advice, info or suggestions would be welcomed.

Feeding later would have been my first suggestion too. The other thing is to try to have that last meal quite heavy in carbohydrate, as that gets digested more slowly so is less likely to result in the empty-tummy-bile vomiting.

If he were mine, rather than dog food I’d use rice or potato last thing with some fish through it.

Obviously you have been to the vets. Are they sure it’s BVS? My puppy had the same thing and I was convinced it was BVS but on doing my own research I found out that vomiting bile first thing can be a symptom of something else. Long story short, my puppy has inflammatory bowel disease and is on Hills I/D dog food (I can hear a loud gasp from fellow dog owners in disgust) and it has sorted him right out so I have nothing but praise for it. I did change his food a few weeks back thinking it would be healthier but after 2 weeks it made him really ill and we have only just got him right again (3 trips to the vets and over £200 later) He eats 4 times a day and has probiotics every day with 2/3 of a bonio biscuit before bed (he is only 10 kilos) I might add it has taken about 6 months and lots of money to get to the bottom of the situation but he is in a good place and I won’t be changing his food again!

Reactions: RGC
Also the minute he wakes he has a few small biscuits which he loves - then about half hour later I try him with brekkie. The biscuits seem to spur on his appetite. Hope this helps?

Feeding later would have been my first suggestion too. The other thing is to try to have that last meal quite heavy in carbohydrate, as that gets digested more slowly so is less likely to result in the empty-tummy-bile vomiting.

If he were mine, rather than dog food I’d use rice or potato last thing with some fish through it.

Thanks for your suggestion Joanne - Tried it Friday night, Saturday morning bouncy and back to his normal happy self. Gave him same (fish and rice) last night and back to square 1 again. At the moment he hasn't eaten anything, stomach squeaking and gurgling. He has now brought up 3 lots of white frothy mucus and his now sleeping. No doubt by early afternoon he will be eating but I think it's going to be back to vets for further investigation. Thanks for your help.

Obviously you have been to the vets. Are they sure it’s BVS? My puppy had the same thing and I was convinced it was BVS but on doing my own research I found out that vomiting bile first thing can be a symptom of something else. Long story short, my puppy has inflammatory bowel disease and is on Hills I/D dog food (I can hear a loud gasp from fellow dog owners in disgust) and it has sorted him right out so I have nothing but praise for it. I did change his food a few weeks back thinking it would be healthier but after 2 weeks it made him really ill and we have only just got him right again (3 trips to the vets and over £200 later) He eats 4 times a day and has probiotics every day with 2/3 of a bonio biscuit before bed (he is only 10 kilos) I might add it has taken about 6 months and lots of money to get to the bottom of the situation but he is in a good place and I won’t be changing his food again!

Thanks for your reply Cath. I have been looking at some info online and it certainly looks like it could be a possibility. Can you give me some more info on which particular Hills I/D food you use as there are quite a few types (and when I had a quick look there was one which said not to give to dogs who have had pancreatitis or are prone to it, so I don't want to make a bad situation worse).

Thanks for your reply Cath. I have been looking at some info online and it certainly looks like it could be a possibility. Can you give me some more info on which particular Hills I/D food you use as there are quite a few types (and when I had a quick look there was one which said not to give to dogs who have had pancreatitis or are prone to it, so I don't want to make a bad situation worse).
Hi. It’s Hills I/D digestive care tinned dog food with turkey. It’s the newer active biome formula. If I could work out how to upload a photo I would. Hope this helps.

image.jpg

2 out of 3 of my whippets suffer, yellow foamy bile in the morning, I make them toast before bed and it soaks the bile up. Sometimes with Oliver is gets that bad he can't eat so he takes an antacid before bed ( recommended by my vet)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back