The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice on how to care my baby after spaying

yhb

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello

my husband and I decided to spay now 10months old our little Maltipoo.
It was a very difficult decision for me putting her through the surgery but after seeing her struggled so much with her season and phantom pregnancy for long time, we did many research and talking with the vet, We thought it is the best for her and for her longer term happiness.

I know there are many different view and opinions on spaying
But now I made the decision , I want to do the best and give her the best care Possible so what I would like advice for is how I can best care for my baby after her surgery

We live in a three storey house with a small paved garden
Baby spends most of her day on the ground floor living room where she has her crate and couple of beds but she usually be on my or my husband’s sofa.
Sometime she comes to the first floor when both of us are on the first floor working etc
When sleep she comes top floor main bedroom with us and sleep in her other crate.

it will be a keyhole surgery but I believe still need to keep her as calm as possible

should I keep her in for example the living room all the time? Maybe sleep on the ground floor rather than top floor?
I can sleep there for few days with her too.
I’m worried hold her up to first floor or top floor and hurt her.
If it’s raining should I re introduce puppy pad?

I bought few recovery suits for her rather than Elizabethern collar

any tips will be appreciated

Last edited:
A close friend's dog had a keyhole spay. She was absolutely fine within hours. She was advised to keep her quiet but the dog had other ideas.

Your dog will sleep/rest for the first 24 hours and really should not be encouraged to go up/down the stairs apart from that you put her on a lead and take her out to the toilet and certainly NEVER use 'puppy pads' all they do is teach the dog to toilet inside the house and once they are trained to do that they will choose where they wish to toilet ( and it won't be on some pad) The vet will tell you to keep her calm, not let her lick stitches and some even tell you to crate them for 10 days however that is totally unnecessary as long as the dog is not up/down stairs, up and down off the sofa/bed and doing zommies around the room...... so the first 24 hours she will 'manage' her own energy getting over the sedation, then it will be up to you to get her back to 'normal' gently/calmly, for example short slow lead walk instead of a long one....... dogs are 'over it' very quickly ie within days, they are not like us humans where an op like that takes 6 months to recover from

Compared to people dog are as hard as nails, just use common sense.

JoanneF

thank you that gives me comfort and hope my baby will be the same

inka

thank you also for good tips.
I can remove steps to come up to sofas. But she may try to jump on..
She does have moment go around circles or play rough with her favourite toys.
It could be really a challenge to keep her calm if she gets over quickly and gets back to her usual cheeky and naughty self
She is usually a very excitable girl

Buy some cheap duvets, fold them and put them on the ground next to the sofas so she doesn't have to jump up so far. Sit on the floor with her. Avoid her wanting to go up stairs by temporarily changing your routine. Block stairs off with a baby gate or similar. Play puzzle games with her to tire her out without her charging around.

Bitches do recover very quickly from a laparoscopic spay, and dogs are very stoical about pain in general, but there is no need to look for trouble for the sake of a few days. Well done about the collar too - really I don't know why vets still use the Elizabethan ones..

inka

thank you also for good tips.
I can remove steps to come up to sofas. But she may try to jump on..
She does have moment go around circles or play rough with her favourite toys.
It could be really a challenge to keep her calm if she gets over quickly and gets back to her usual cheeky and naughty self
She is usually a very excitable girl

Then clip a lead onto her, let it trail so you can easily step on it to gain control and if she has excess energy after the op then take her for a gentle walk, teach her a new trick that uses her mental energy, such as 'floor' by you sitting on the sofa, your foot on the lead ( stops her jumping up on the sofa uninvited) and command 'floor'and instead of gifting her meal in a bowl each time stuff it into a kong and let her use her energy to work and earn her meals

really I don't know why vets still use the Elizabethan ones..

On one hand they are protecting their 'work' from being 'unpicked', they know many pet owners are not very observant and often tell them to leave a cone on for 10 days 24/7 ( poor dog) and yes that stops the dog unpicking the stitches/causing secondary infection but it also unbalances the dog, dogs can also be attacked by other dogs as they 'look strange', cones can also cause unwanted behavioural changes.... as well as the vet can add the cost ( x4) of the cone to the clients bill

My friends lurcher had keyhole surgery and where she felt so well she chased around and hsd to have another surgery torepair internal damage so as others have said just be really careful ...they usually heal in a week. ..
Stay calm vibes for you and your husband xx

Hemlock
thank you for the tips.
Staying on the floor with her is really not a problem for me so I will definitely do that
I’m Japanese so very much used to sit on the floor

and we have baby gates so will block the access to stairs with them

Inka
Thank you again
I ordered a puppy house line in case I need to control her movement. But hopefully I don’t need to use it

Tinytom
Thank you
What happened to your friend’s lurcher is exactly I’m worried about.
I took few days off from work and my husband also is going to make time to take turn.
Fingers crossed all goes well with my baby

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back