The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice on mating my male French bulldog

Emma0904

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
He's 2 in July, recently he's started humping anything he can get his paws around which is just natural, but he also humps any female human who he comes into contact with, my vet said get him neutered others said mate him. He's kc registered were do I begin finding a bitch/breeder that aren't breeding just for money.

Mating him won't stop the humping - one taste of the forbidden fruit will just leave him wanting more. And humping isn't always sexual - it can result just from general excitement and then become a habit. Neutering will probably reduce it, but neutered males still do hump on occasion.

Also, breeding should never be undertaken lightly - you would want full health checks on both potential parents, and Frenchies often have defects that make them, and their progeny, suffer. And the recent popularity of Frenchies has led to more overbreeding, and more in rescues - have a read of this from Battersea Dogs Home: The real cost of cute: Battersea’s French Bulldog intake soars

So I'd neuter... but you can also do a lot to redirect the humping behaviour. Get him a nice big cuddly toy and whenever he tries to hump a person, redirect him to the toy. The person being humped should also just calmly get up and leave the room - this needs to be really consistent. They shouldn't tell him off, as this will just increase his general arousal/excitement levels. Eventually he'll learn that trying to hump someone means the fun stops, but humping his toy is fine, and a good way to use his energies.

As well as what Judy says about it not necessarily being sexual, and the change it will make to his personality, breeding shouldn't be undertaken lightly.

French bulldogs are not exactly uncommon, and with the health and conformation problems they frequently have, it would really only be responsible to breed your boy if he is an outstanding example (and bred to an outstanding example of a bitch). The minimum would be to have him (and the female) tested for the congenital conditions he could pass to his potential pups.

So his hip score should be well under 13, he should also be tested for hereditary cataracts.

And if he is a dilute colour like blue or lilac, or has stenotic nares, please reconsider.

Last edited:
I fully understand an agree that breeding shouldn't happen unless all the risks have been thought ht about that's why I made this post, because numerous people are telling me to let him try once before neutering, that's why I asked where would be the best place to look if I did consider it because I don't want pick of the litter or money for using my dog as a stud. I rescued him from a home at 6 months old, were he was stuck in a cage day an night as they were been paid 100s of pounds a month to care for him while his owner was working abroad footing the food an vet bills while he wasn't around. He was scared of his shadow, had severe ear an eye infections when I got him an ive nursed him since day one he has regular vet checks an the vets have said he's like a whole new dog, an I'd rather a proper breeder have his pups than someone who sees them as money because they are a trend at the minute

Joannef
No he's not lilac/blue in colour he's black, Id fully understand if he was lilac/blue an people telling me to mate him for that reason, he's black in colour but he has the brightest eyes an they just make you fall in love with him, my young son was attacked by an American bulldog dog 2 years ago at less than 2 years old an I had to give my life long dog away because he was that scared, he first met my Frenchie through the patio doors while I tried to find him a safe home an they've been each others shadow since. I know my dog doesn't have any defects or health problems otherwise I'd never of thought twice about mating

He has teddy's toys pillows, has a large garden to run free in an is walked twice a day by a dog walker during the 9 hours I'm at work aswel as been walked by myself, I've attended obidience classes with him an this is the only problem we haven't been able to solve

He's clearly a lucky dog to have found you :) But I would still question why you want to breed him - how would he benefit from being mated apart from a very short-term bit of enjoyment? It won't reduce his humping, and there will potentially be more puppies to compete with the many Frenchies already in rescues looking for new homes.

It's good that you know he has no health defects but only a test will confirm his hip scores.

His eyes also should be tested for hereditary cataracts and degenerative mylopathy

You didn't say what his nostrils are like.

His nervous personality as a pup also raises a red flag and remember that personality that you love him for is likely to change.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back