The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice on XL American Bulldog and your experiences on introducing them to a dog you already own.

Hollie newsome

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

I am in the process of looking for an XL American Bulldog to put family. Reputable breeder and can trace back ancestors. However, I currently have a 9 year old Pug who is really laid back and has got on with every dog he’s met.

I am just wondering on any experiences you may have had in a similar situation. How did your dogs get on when introducing a new dog (specifically a big breed with a smaller breed.)

No direct experience but I have heard of people finding it very difficult to insure them, and with their physical structure being extreme in many cases, that could turn out to be a problem.

After always having bigger dogs with small dogs...lurchers and terriers.....
I never thought I would have a problem but having the deerhound pups with jack Russell's who were older I would never have bigger dogs with older smaller dogs ....the bigger dogs can do serious harm to smaller dogs without even realising.....
Would makes you want a Xl bully ....be very careful as there are so many of this breed type in rescue as they aren't always easy dogs to have and train ...
Sometimes even looking back at ancestry of dogs doesn't guarantee a nice laid back dog ....

It would be much safer to let your pug live out his life and then if you still want a big dog, do your research thoroughly, take your time and get a well-reared well-bred pup of whatever type you have in mind.

Thank you all - I appreciate the feedback. They are things I have already thought about so, do think I’m going to at least wait until my older boy has lived his full and best life. I think I just needed someone to back up my own thoughts - glad I posted this thread.

The other thing to be wary of is that in terms of shape, some of these dogs have a huge amount of physical stress on body parts that were never intended to bear that amount / distribution of weight. Obviously some are less extreme, but for the ones that are, they are going to have terribly painful problems as they age.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back