The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice Please

margemac

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can anyone advise, what is the best food to feed if a whippet has colitis.

Last few weeks she has had runny motions, been to the vet and they said it was colitis. Was given antibotic and paste to help digestion. :( Fed chicken and rice and then gradually back onto her own food. (Skinners Rough & Ready). Has anyone any experience with this and what if best to feed.

She is in good form and running around as usual when out for walks. Just runny tummy.

:(

Can anyone advise, what is the best food to feed if a whippet has colitis.
Last few weeks she has had runny motions, been to the vet and they said it was colitis. Was given antibotic and paste to help digestion. :( Fed chicken and rice and then gradually back onto her own food. (Skinners Rough & Ready). Has anyone any experience with this and what if best to feed.

She is in good form and running around as usual when out for walks. Just runny tummy.

:(
Is the Skinner's dry or like Vitalin that needs water? If you want a dry food (I'm sure that plenty will advise you to feed raw) Burns is good quality and have several with rice instead of wheat/maize which is harder to digest. Or Nature Diet - wet complete and rice based - is good. Whatever you feed, I would add a good teaspoon of natural probiotic yoghurt to her breakfast. Buscopan is a handy medication for any recurrence of colitis.

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

My Little Diasy has LPE so I am well used to dealing with all extremes of tummy upset.

Burns pork and potato (dry) will stop the runs but may make her constipated as I found their new recipie did not agree with Daisy so well.

Daisy is on the Burns Fish & Maize and this is tolerated very well.

I do not advise introducing a 'raw' diet untill the condition has cleared up just in case your dog has salmonella or something similar.

Has she been tested for campylobacter or salmonella?

Whatever you introduce, it should be done gradually.

Plain boiled rice with Cooked turkey or chicken is usually best until things settle down.

My Little Diasy has LPE so I am well used to dealing with all extremes of tummy upset.Burns pork and potato (dry) will stop the runs but may make her constipated as I found their new recipie did not agree with Daisy so well.

Daisy is on the Burns Fish & Maize and this is tolerated very well.

I do not advise introducing a 'raw' diet untill the condition has cleared up just in case your dog has salmonella or something similar.

Has she been tested for campylobacter or salmonella?

Whatever you introduce, it should be done gradually.

Plain boiled rice with Cooked turkey or chicken is usually best until things settle down.
why would feeding raw be a problem if your dog had salmonella?

It depends whether this is just a one off or a continuing problem, if its the latter then a change to raw can and often does bring about a massive improvement, stick to one type to begin with....ie chicken ...until your dog has been fine for a few weeks, then try a different meat such as tripe , no added cereal or treats of any kind until its settled on meat alone for at least two weeks, then you can add one type of ceeral ie rice and see how that works, keep off anything else. Only add one new thing at a time so you can see which item upsets the digestion and remove it from the diet.

Your dog will be fine on just chicken with NO cereals including any treats for a few weeks

Good Luck

both my two whippets suffer with colitis.what suits mine is a tablespoon of LIVE natural yoguart every morning.there main food is gain 20% protien.this dry complete food has not caused any probs they have improved greatly since being in it.thats the key to my girls anything over 20% is too much for them to tolerate they have this dry with half a tin of chappie or hero dog food in jelly.i suppose not every way will suit every dog think you need to find what works for yours.mine still have treats but only bland ones bonio or plain munchy sticks.just change things slowly if you do give there systems time to adjust. :luck:

Thanks to all for the tips on feeding for one with colitis..

I have tried her with some plain cooked boiled rice and some cooked chicken. things have improved so I am just going to introduce some other food and see how it goes. Would you suggest raw chicken wings?

Our whippet Roscoe had colitis over New Year and ended up at the ER vets as he lost a lot of weight, had a high temp and was passing bloody/ jelly like stools (sorry if TMI!) and was in considerable pain. He also had anti b's and paste to settle his stomach, and we had to give him room temp water through a syringe to keep his fluids up as the vet at one point nearly put him on a drip. He was on chicken and rice for nearly two weeks. The important piece of advice I got from the ER vet was that it was caused by him being very sensitive to changes in his protein eg if you switch from a chicken based food to a fish based one. So, if we change their food, we would normally do it over a week, gradually increasing the amount of the new food but were told to take it two or three times slower with Roscoe in future eg introduce it over 2 or 3 weeks to prevent recurrence.

I can't really advise what to give your dog, but just to do any changes VERY slowly to stop it coming back. Roscoe now has CSJ CP21 complete food and *touch wood* we have not had any recurrences.

both my two whippets suffer with colitis.what suits mine is a tablespoon of LIVE natural yoguart every morning.there main food is gain 20% protien.this dry complete food has not caused any probs they have improved greatly since being in it.thats the key to my girls anything over 20% is too much for them to tolerate they have this dry with half a tin of chappie or hero dog food in jelly.i suppose not every way will suit every dog think you need to find what works for yours.mine still have treats but only bland ones bonio or plain munchy sticks.just change things slowly if you do give there systems time to adjust. :luck:
are your whippets related??

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back