The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice - What Dog Should I Get?

picki

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi am looking for some advice thinking about getting a buddy for are wippet harry he`s 6years old, the vet said to get a young bitch so he will till be top dog,what i want to know is should i get a bitch or a dog, will it make much diff, i dont want to breed just a buddy for old harry... :wacko:

picki said:
hi am looking for some advice thinking about getting a buddy for are wippet harry he`s 6years old, the vet said to get a young bitch so he will till be top dog,what i want to know is should i get a bitch or a dog, will it make much diff, i dont want to breed just a buddy for old harry... :wacko:

Beau was four when we got him a friend. We got another boy and there was absolutely no problems when we introduced them and four years on they are inseparable. :thumbsup:

Yes, I'd say get another boy too. I have two boys, and four girls, but there's no problem with the boys fighting over the girls, as they are all spayed. If you were to bring in a bitch, you would have to have one of them neutered - not that that's a great problem. Some breeders cope with keeping them apart, but I wouldn't want to have to do it. Harry would lose weight and pine for her if you kept her away.

I know lots of people who keep lots of male dogs together, and don't have any problems. Good luck with whatever you decide, but one thing is for sure, whippies do like company of their own kind, and most end up besotted with each other like Whippetrus's boys :thumbsup:

Get another boy, they are so much fun!!!!!!! I have three boys, all get on well. :- "

I have two dogs and they are the bestest of friends, they gang up on me, two pairs of soulful eyes looking for your last bite of sandwich., life does not get much better. :thumbsup: unless it was three pairs. :D

Jenny

In a mixed pack the bitch will always be the top dog.

If I were you I would stick with dogs. That way you don't have the problem of separating them during season time etc.

Good luck

Dog deffo, i keep 4 entire dogs and they are the best of friends

Yep,have to agree with everyone else,get another male :thumbsup:

if it was me def another boy

i have 6 all boys

good :luck:

quintessence said:
...two pairs of soulful eyes looking for your last bite of sandwich...
Would that be the WhippetWatchers Diet? :- "

My hubby goes mad at me giving Tina bits of toast in the morning but he's outnumbered (and ignored!) - I can't wait to get another whippet to keep her company :huggles: We've had her spayed so no problems with what sex to get...tho Neil does prefer the girls ;)

Go meet some dogs you think will suit you and see how they get on.

Our male cant handle other males so we have him and 6 other girls.

Its six of one, and half a dozen of the other 8)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back