The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Does my dog have worms?

amandam0425

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I think my dog has worms, she vomited up a clear liquid with what appear to be worms. I always thought worms were white in colour but these are dark, can anyone tell me if this is definately worms and if so what type.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240914_215943_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240914_215943_Gallery.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 241
It could be something she has eaten.
When did you last worm her, what with and where from?

We have only had the dog for 2 months, we have taken her on from a family member who is too poorly to look after her now. My aunt wormed her before we took her on with frontline bought from pets at home 2 months ago, so she would be due to be wormed again next month. I did try to upload a video where you can see the black thing wiggling around but wouldn't allow me to so had to screenshot the video. Would it be worth worming early do you think or seeking advice from the vet? I have a child at home and 2 house cats. I'm really worried my son catches anything

The only Frontline I know about is for ticks and fleas, not worms (and, by the way, some fleas have developed a resistance, it's better to try to get Frontline Plus now).

Please double check what your aunt used, and what the repeat interval is. Certainly some can be given as often as monthly, where there is a risk of lungworm for example.

It would be unusual for worms to be vomited, but not completely unknown - they would usually only be vomited if the dog was quite heavily infested and if that's the case, it might be best to see the vet because you might need a more robust worming regime than normal.

I would suggest a vets strength for wormers, and I prefer tablets by mouth, at least you know the whole dose has gone down.
Frontline is better known for flea and tick treatments rather than wormer's (as already mentioned).

I have just checked the doses of drugs in Frontline and Drontal (tablets by mouth) and both products appear to have the same ingredients but Drontol has stronger doses of everything.
I do not like spot ons, for something like worms. (I think a lot of the treatment can get lost in the coats before being absorbed through the skin)
Granuals are only useful if your dog/cat will eat food without asking questions about the taste or strange smell! Your vet will always pop a pill down if you ask.

I see that you have cats too. It may be advisable to worm these at the same time as the dog.

Not all medications over the counter or online have the same concentration of drugs those prescribed by a vet .

Thanks so much for your advice. I will contact the vets tomorrow morning and get the cats and dog booked in for worming.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back