The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advise please.

Stamford

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

StamfordRegistered
My cocker is 13.5 yrs old. She’s always been a lovely placid kind dog to both humans and other dogs. But we’ve hit a stage where she’s become extremely challenging. I have mentioned her behaviour before. But she’s getting progressively worse. It’s so hard as I don’t know if there’s something going on physically. I’d say she definitely has cognitive problems. She’s very unsettled at night. She just never really relaxes. She sleeps quite a bit in the day. But as soon as it gets dark she starts with her oddities. She wanders constantly. Wants to go in and out of the back door at least 20 times of an evening. If it’s cold we want to close the door. But we’re either constantly up and down or we freeze !! She had a melanoma taken out of her mouth over a year ago and did well recovering from that. But my worry now is she’s losing weight. I keep taking her to the vet. He says she’s within normal weight as she was overweight. But she’s still losing weight for some reason. She eats ok. Goes potty ok too. But in past month or so she’s fallen down the stairs. She leaps the bottom two stairs and then sprawls on hall floor. She’s never ever wee’d or pooped inside. She’s done both twice in past few weeks. I’ve just had stairgates fitted top and bottom as two days ago she ran Galway up the stairs decided to turn around and fell the whole way back down. I’m so scared she’s going to break something. What’s happening to my little girl? I’m finding it hard to cope. It’s so upsetting. Any advise would be welcomed please.

Does she seem generally uncoordinated? When you posted before, she seemed to have symptoms of canine cognitive decline (dementia), and lack of coordination is a symptom of dementia. What meds is she on now?

Have you spoken to your vet about her coordination, and her overall quality of life?

My dog passed away with dementia since you last posted. In the end he went in just a few days from me just about managing to keep him reasonably calm most of the time to him being distressed - crying and barking - most of the time when he wasn't on a walk, sleeping or eating, and that's when we made the decision he'd had enough. All you can really do is take up any of your vet's suggestions for meds (gabapentin really helped my dog's anxiety), consider any of the suggestions that we've made in your previous threads, avoid stairs and other places her coordination could be a problem, and manage her anxiety as best you can. When you can't manage her anxiety sufficiently for her to have a good quality of life, then it's time to consider whether she has had enough. My heart goes out to you because it's not at all easy to go through.

Does she seem generally uncoordinated? When you posted before, she seemed to have symptoms of canine cognitive decline (dementia), and lack of coordination is a symptom of dementia. What meds is she on now?

Have you spoken to your vet about her coordination, and her overall quality of life?

My dog passed away with dementia since you last posted. In the end he went in just a few days from me just about managing to keep him reasonably calm most of the time to him being distressed - crying and barking - most of the time when he wasn't on a walk, sleeping or eating, and that's when we made the decision he'd had enough. All you can really do is take up any of your vet's suggestions for meds (gabapentin really helped my dog's anxiety), consider any of the suggestions that we've made in your previous threads, avoid stairs and other places her coordination could be a problem, and manage her anxiety as best you can. When you can't manage her anxiety sufficiently for her to have a good quality of life, then it's time to consider whether she has had enough. My heart goes out to you because it's not at all easy to go through.
By being uncoordinated. She walks straight. But she’s started falling up the garden steps. She jumps the last three stairs which causes her to land like bambi on the hall floor. I’ve put down a blanket for her
To at least have a soft landing. She’s a bit better during the day. But at night she’s not good. She becomes agitated, goes up and down the stairs. In and out to the garden. This can go on for hours. Then she’s exhausted and sleeps. But almost always wakes up during the night and does it once or twice. I’m 60 and it’s like I have a newborn. I’m permanently exhausted. But her quality of life isn’t too bad. She eats well. She has the waggiest tail. She can’t hear. And I do wonder about her sight with the missing of steps etc. she’s got skinny. Her coat is still lovely. I just don’t know. My vet is pretty on the fence with her. He indicates it’s not time for her to go yet. Because the only real problem we have is the unsettled nights with her. Sorry you lost your dog. It’s a hard thing to face. I’m dreading it. I’m at war with my 26 yr old who’s dead set against even talking about the inevitable. I just don’t know what to do. All I know is it’s very hard.

Since it's at night that she is so unsettled, did you ever try the SAD lamp suggested in your previous threads?

No I didn’t as she doesn’t stay still long enough. But thank you for the suggestion. We’re back at the vet today to weigh her. I’m not sure what he will suggest. Up until now he’s not been much help regarding suggestions. I just wish I knew if it was old age or there’s something going on physically with her.

Ask your vet if there's a possibility of something physical going on that might be fixed. Jasper had coordination problems that may have been caused by dementia, or his joints deteriorating, or a degenerative disorder. He also had a couple of lumps that he wouldn't let the vet examine. It made no odds - there was nothing that could be investigated or fixed without sedation, which we wouldn't have put him through.

You just need to accept that your dog is on the downhill path and, as hard as it is, try to make the most of what may be her last few weeks/months. Worrying won't help either of you.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand? It doesn't need to be pointed at her or anything, just in the same room.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand? It doesn't need to be pointed at her or anything, just in the same room.
Ohhhhh I didn’t realise that. But she’s all over the house. So would it do her any good if she’s wandering from room to room ?

It can't do any harm, that's for sure.

It might even stop her wandering.

They can make a big difference to people with dementia.

Yes, as far as I'm aware there aren't special ones for animals.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back