The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

After and incident with an electric fence, dog keeps hiding when I try and put him on a lead...

Valamist

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone! So, I am having an issue with my Jack Russell. A bit of backstory, a few months ago I took our dog Kevin out for a walk around the film which we have walked hundreds of times before. That day was different because, unaware to us, a new farmer had replaced the normal fencing with an electric one. To my shame I did not notice, and when he was loose on the lead Kevin touched it and had a right fright. He did not get injured or anything, we had him checked, but ever since then he had been nervous about me putting him on a lead.

Thing is, his absolutely fine with me outside this. He is always edger to play, use me as a pillow etc. Nothing has changed there. The moment I pick up his lead however, he runs and hides in whatever spot he can. He I try and put it on he gets very defence, with small nips to try and keep the lead away. My parents have had to be the ones who put the lead on him or take him for a walk in my stead. When I get him out into the wild he is usually OK, however now Kevin is starting to get smart about my parents putting him on the lead and has started hiding from them too if he sees I am around!

So, does anyone have any tips onto how I can get Kevin's trust back? Its starting to become a right pain... plus I feel really guilty.

Last edited:
Dogs can make incorrect associations - I know of someone's dog who was sleeping under a table, woke up, banged her head on the table but 'blamed' the ceiling fan and growled at it every time she went in the room.

So - maybe get a new lead - it might not help but worth a shot. Lie the lead on the floor. If your dog looks at it, Mark the behaviour with a clicker if you have one or marker word like "yesssss" then reward. Repeat every time the dog looks at it. Maybe get a special reward like roast chicken, just for this training. Then if your dog takes a step towards it, mark and reward. Build up slowly - if your dog sniffs it, mark and reward. Then repeat with it in your hand - a look, an approach, a sniff with rewards. Don't rush or force it or you will reinforce in his mind that the lead is to be feared.

i'd cheat. :p
I'd use the same familiar lead, but do the same steps - lay it on the floor, 3 to 4-ft away from me...
dog looks at it? / Click! - treat. Takes ONE step toward it? / Click! - treat. Takes 2 steps? / Click! - treat. Stands near it? C! - t. / Sniffs it? C! - t. // etc.

then I'd have the leash at my feet, mark / reward all interactions, same/ same, hold the leash itself in one hand, mark / reward all offered interactions, same / same, etc. // Finally, i'd hold the leash clip in one hand, mark / reward all interactions & approaches, & last but not least, have the dog SIT while i touched him with the clip -
chest in several places [where he sees U coming, & can "duck" easily], following every touch with a pea-sized or half-pea sized tidbit of protein, then touch shoulder / C! - t, foreleg several places / C! - t, other foreleg / C! - t, ask the dog to roll, touch their belly several places, etc, etc - by the time U get to his neck, touch his neck, C! - t, touch his COLLAR, C! - t, & clip the leash on, it should be old-hat comfy. :)

then i'd let him wear the leash for 15-mins or so, inside the house - taking it with him wherever he goes, not being controlled by it, going where HE wants to go. // Call him over, C! - t, ask for a sit, C! - t, take it off.
Repeat with higher "bars" to jump in order to get the mark + reward, either later that day after a nap, or preferably the next day, after a night's sleep.
Why is
sleep important? - latent learning. // U do nothing; the dog rehearses the ideas & experiences while asleep, in dreams, & they lay down new memories that consolidate newly-learned behaviors, in ways that make the memory easy to recall.

Latent learning can cut "time & trials to fluency" in HALF. Sleep is yer friend - use it! :)
- terry

Welcome to the forum. I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your choice of name for your dog! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back