The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

aggression in french bulldogs

dean1963

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi we have a 3yr old dog name rocco we bought him on the 29th nov 2019 he was ok well behaved untill 2 days ago he is trying to attack /bite my wife when my wife is trying to be loving towards me , if me and my wife are not trying to get up to anything rocco seems ok.rocco lets my wife feed water , stoke , and wash him with no problem untill my wife wants some fun with me , i am not sure what to do at the moment as rocco seems ok with me , and have all ready spoken to vets who have pasted us on to a behaviouist but this dog is suppose to be trained

Get him neutered.....
If your wife wants fun with you go into another room away from the dog ..

thanks for your reply vets will not neutered him yet , if we put him in another room he wines , scratches , barks , to be let out we look around the net and found out that he might have velcrose syndrome as he will stick to me more than my wife

Now he has been with you for a few weeks, his character will be coming through (quite often it is suppressed during the "honeymoon period" ). I wonder if he might be resource guarding you.
this dog is suppose to be trained
He may well be trained, but not been trained to ignore you when you and your wife are getting intimate. I think it's important to make the distinction between training and behaviour though. Behaviours are driven by emotions (I behave professionally at work because I get pleasure from being paid for example). But sometimes our behaviours are harder to control when the emotions are very strong. So for another example, I am trained to drive but if I were to be in fear of something I might drive away from it faster than the speed limit - my emotions of fear causes my behaviour of speeding to override my training.

hi the vets wont neuter him yet as they say he has not been long with us ,i have just spoken to the old owner and they have said that rocco has never shown this issue before , all though they said before that he does not pull or grab since we had him he has done both this is what i ment about trained also when i spoke to old owner on whatsapp she said to take him back , what would be the legal issue on this if old owner wanted him back all though all details are in our name , with resource guarding he was ok with both of us before even in the same room untill 2 days ago we are waiting for schooling for dogs to contact us back

In 30 yrs of being involved in rescuing and rehoming dogs including ex breeders that havent been neutered within weeks unless they are under one year old .....

I cant understand why you contacted the previous owner as he is Your dog now and your responsibility. ......
He has only been with you 6 weeks and dogs do change ....give him time and please dont employ a behaviourist that promotes pack leadership .....

hi the last owner asked us to stay in touch , i had a call from schooling from dogs they said with out seeing rocco that the last owner was irresponsible as a breeder

give him time and please dont employ a behaviourist that promotes pack leadership .....

This. It's VERY early days, and he's still settling in - this can take months. They say that if you train a dog to sit in the kitchen, he doesn't necessarily know how to sit in the front room. And if he knows how to sit anywhere when he's calm, that goes right out of the window when he's stressed.

Where does he sleep at night? In with you, or in another room? Is he OK with this arrangement?

I would avoid doing whatever sets him off for now, till he's more settled. Let him follow you round the house if that's what he wants to do. In the meantime, I'd teach a really good 'settle on your bed' cue, making it really positive, so he LOVES being on his bed. It's easier to teach a dog what you want it to do (settle on their bed) rather than what you don't want them to do (go for your wife), and this might be a good foundation of whatever the behaviourist suggests you do (if they suggest anything aversive, i.e. punishing him in any way for the unwanted behaviour, then find a better one).

thanks for your reply rocco does sit of lay with out saying a word , he does sleep any where really , settee , chair , floor , dog bed , my bed , we do not punish him in any way , when i am trying to get dressed he wants to sit on my lap and he is 3 stone , he paws you , climbs up the door , crys , even when he is out he does sleep alot but as soon as i move he follows me .

hi the last owner asked us to stay in touch , i had a call from schooling from dogs they said with out seeing rocco that the last owner was irresponsible as a breeder
I find it strange that she asked you to stay in touch but wouldnt allow his vets records to be disclosed

Dont forget Rocco was used as a stud dog and was most probably used to living with other dogs ......

This. It's VERY early days, and he's still settling in - this can take months. They say that if you train a dog to sit in the kitchen, he doesn't necessarily know how to sit in the front room. And if he knows how to sit anywhere when he's calm, that goes right out of the window when he's stressed.

Where does he sleep at night? In with you, or in another room? Is he OK with this arrangement?

I would avoid doing whatever sets him off for now, till he's more settled. Let him follow you round the house if that's what he wants to do. In the meantime, I'd teach a really good 'settle on your bed' cue, making it really positive, so he LOVES being on his bed. It's easier to teach a dog what you want it to do (settle on their bed) rather than what you don't want them to do (go for your wife), and this might be a good foundation of whatever the behaviourist suggests you do (if they suggest anything aversive, i.e. punishing him in any way for the unwanted behaviour, then find a better one).
Absolutely, even if the dog would have behaved in previous household/place, I've always taken the approach with a new to me dog (regardless of its age) that we start everything from scratch and get to know each other in the process...and it takes loooooong time. Dogs change over the years anyway, as we do, so it is never ending progress and that's what it is all about..never a 'complete package'.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back