The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

ALL ENGLAND CHAMPIONS

whippetier

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My deceased uncle bred and owned a whippet called YELLOW ROSE which I believe was all England Champion some time in the seventies. I am trying to find out more about this, and looking for for conformation of the fact. Is there anyone who can help, it would be much appreciated.

Hi Billy, if your uncle was nicknamed Ollie then we can probably shed some light on the dog in question.  My grandad remembers that it was a rough haired cream coloured dog that Ollie used to shave before he raced it at Wigan and Lancaster.  My grandad tried to mate a bitch to Yellow Rose but the dog 'couldn't deliver the goods'.  Don't know if it was all England Champion but was a good open class dog.  

Hope this helps you out a bit!!!

-----

Vicky

(Edited by Vicky at 6:29 pm on Dec. 10, 2001)

Hi Vicky

Got it in one, my uncle was Ollie!

I now breed whippets also only I dont race them. I used to show them but have not been able to lately. Thanks for the information, did your grandad know Ollie?

That is Vicky, did your grandad know him well? I read it back and it didn't sound right. And does he know if he ever got yellow rose mated.

My Grandad said that they always had a chat and that he doesn't think that Yellow Rose ever mated anything unless it was something other than a whippet.

Will continue searching whippet news's from the 70's to see what i can find, mind you it may take some time as i do tend to get side tracked and start reading about some of the other dogs etc

-----

Vicky

(Edited by Vicky at 6:25 pm on Dec. 12, 2001)

Thanks Vicky would appreciate anything you can find out. I have a particularly nice brindle dog and it would be nice if I could mate it to something from a line my uncle once had.

THANKS AGAIN FROM BILLY

My grandad has just remembered that Yellow Rose also raced under the name of Blondie, i will have to check for this name too in back copies of whippet news.

Is your whippet a dog or a bitch and do you know the names of his other dogs, apparently he had a few good little 'uns.  Let me know maybe you'd consider lining your dog to something that goes back to one of them.

I have got some nice racing bred non ped pups at the moment if your interested!!(sorry but my job is sales, perhaps i'm taking it too far!!!)

-----

Vicky

(Edited by Vicky at 6:48 pm on Dec. 13, 2001)

Have you got a new litter of pups? any left? Maybe I can talk mum in to letting me have another! who are the proud parents?

Yeh see MISTAKEN MATING in Whippets General!!!

It's Kit again keep getting me into trouble!!!!

Dear Vicky thanks for giving me another insight into my uncles racing history. Unfortunately I know very little about his dogs as I lived some distance from him during those years. The only other dogs name I know is JIP, but will ask around the family.It is a dog I have at the moment that I would like to breed, I think he is something special, but then I am biased and not looking from a racing angle. Yes I would be interested in a puppy bitch as my daughter has just moved out and took two of my bitches with her , but they were to close to use with bruce.

please could you let me know if you have a small bitch available

Many thanks

BILLY

Sorry Billy my litter are all dogs (believe it or not - the mother has had 24 pups all together and there has only been 5 bitches in all) but i do have a 9 month old bitch who i am willing to let go to a good home if your interested.

Still searching bye for now, let me know if you get any more info!!!!

-----

Vicky

Hi Vicky

Yes I am very interested, if you could let me know some details, I will see what I can arrange. My email if you want it is whippetier@hotmail.com

Thanks Vicky

BEST WISHES

BILLY

Just to let you know Billy i have found some bits of info on Blondie and a bit about a rubbing linament that your uncle used, the info was in back issues of whippet news although i'm still not satisfied and am sure that i will find more, once i've got everything together i will get it scanned and posted on here!

-----

Vicky

(Edited by Vicky at 8:27 pm on Dec. 28, 2001)

Dear Vicky

Thanks for the info. Is the 9 month old bitch still up for rehoming if so could you let me know, what you require?

Thanks for everything, I look forward to seeing about his rubbing linament.

Hi Billy, just to let you know i haven't forgotton you and i'm still searching.

Today i have spoken to another old racer who remembers some of the other dogs in Yellow Rose's litter which were named White Rose & Christmas Rose so i will try and see if they made anything of themselves and what there breeding was, from the other litters names i expect one of the parent were named x?x?x?x Rose.  Also my grandad was under the impression that Yellow Rose was a dog but i have today found out that SHE got mated to a well known stud dog Bilko and produced no pups (my grandad must have got mixed up with one of Ollie's other dogs).

Apparently most of the related dogs to Yellow  Rose were also the same colour a creamy beige colour.

-----

Vicky

(Edited by Vicky at 9:35 pm on Dec. 30, 2001)

Hi Billy,

See reply from Kipper/Fluke in thread Mallory regarding Yellow Rose.

-----

Vicky

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back