The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

American Whippet Club Midwest Specialty Show

seaspot_run

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Everyone,

This past weekend was our midwest specialty show, which is one of our larger Whippet entries of every year. As a history lesson, for many years and before we ever even had a National specialty, there were three regionals--Western, Midwest, and Eastern. Then came the Southern. Now we have a few more regionals, but these four are our marquee entries except for the National, which is of course, the most prestigious show we have here for Whippets. Last year, the Midwest was judged by Pauline Oliver and I think that some of you guys might have heard of her. :D

This year, it was judged by Sharon Sakson (Paris Farm), who has something to do with some show in the UK coming up later on :teehee: , and so I thought the results might be of interest here.

They were certainly of interest to ME and Scudder, as our co-owned "Butters"--Ch. Surrey Hill's Golden Boy, won BOB at the Specialty!!

Butters is a very young champion--just 15 months old and he is 20 1/2" tall, pale gold (Scudder says lemon chiffon, but she is overly fancy) fawn and white trim. Although I think his finest days are yet to come, this was certainly an inspiring win and we hope to build on it as he continues to mature. I don't usually handle him, but I had the show leash for this particular win and it was a great, great thrill.

Best of Opposite Sex was another mostly fawn with white bitch--the very admired Ch. Woodsia Appraxin Whitetail. BOW was a red brindle particolor dog whose sire is no doubt known to many of you--Bo-Bett's Quigley Down Under (sired by Int. Ch. Statuesque Extortion--sire of UK Ch. Airescot Ruby Rascal and a lot of other winners on the continent and in Australia). Winners Bitch was a black bitch with white trim irish-marked--C.Square's Wailing Widow. I know at least one K9 member has some close relations of hers--she is out of Ch. C.Square's Handsome Hannibal and Ch. Lightfall's Will-O-Wisp and I think there is a repeat of her in Europe right now if I haven't made a huge mistake.

So, as I am looking at my catalog, I am thinking this might be a big US show worth reporting on here. ;)

Butters' brother Kohl (Surrey Hill's White Vienna) was Reserve Dog at the specialty. We were certainly wildly happy with our great day! :cheers:

Scudder hopefully has a favorite photo of Butters with his usual handler, Laura Kieffer. Laura did such a nice job training Butters I've just been able to take the leash and go in at two big specialty shows and look like I knew what I was doing out there, so it was a lot of fun.

Regards to all.

A very happy, proud, and tired,

Karen Lee

Wow, I made a mistake!!! :b

Unprecedented, I know.... :lol:

C.Square's Wailing Widow won two 5 point majors the first two days of the four show series...but the Winner's Bitch at the Specialty under Sharon Sakson was another black girl with white trim--our Futurity winner from the AWC National, Snow Hill Calliope!

Sorry about that! I guess I am still a little brain dead from the long trip.

Wailing Widow was Reserve Winner's Bitch at the Specialty.

Congrats to the winners :thumbsup: and do we get some pic's (w00t)

I think I have a nice one of Kohl--Reserve Winners Dog. This was a few months ago with a Best Opposite in Sweepstakes win (a special competition for puppies between 6 and 18 months we have at our specialty shows here) handled by me with his owner standing behind me. The judge is Crystal McNulty who attended the International Congress in Sweden with her friend Patience Renzulli. She was at the Midwest and was telling me how impressed she was with the dogs she saw on her trip and all the breeders who spoke at the Congress.

Anyhow, here is the photo of Kohl, the Reserve dog...it takes a few weeks for our win photos to become available here in the USA.

kohlie.jpg

I know that a photog ringside was snapping of the other winners and I will try to get copies of them and share them here as soon as they are up elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pictures of Butters from the Eastern Specialty weekend! Hopefully his win photo from the MidWest Specialty comes sooner rather than later. I wasn't able to attend due to my work schedule, so I sent him out there with Karen and his handler Laura. Little did I know this was not a show I should miss! :(

This is a photo of his Best Opposite Sex at the AWC Supported entry the day before the Eastern specialty in June. I wonder who that is who snuck in the picture to hold the bowl? :lol: :cheers:

Butters_BOS_Eastern_Supported.jpg

It was SO hot that day. I love this photo, but he's hot...it was probably 90+ degrees (whats that, around 32 degrees celsius?) and high humidity. :sweating:

Buttersmoving2Eastern.jpg

Winning a Specialty of that caliber with such a young dog still feels so surreal. He will be out and about a few more times this year, then we'll put him away for the winter and let him grow up a bit before the National in 2009.

Kristen

Thank You for the report and congratz to all the winners and compeptitors...the pics and the Whippets on them are very nice.

:cheers:

We are also very happy on Widow's successes....our full brothers and sister are 6 months old today, and we can't wait for their show debute in Puppy Class in Europe....will be interesting! :)

petrezselyem said:
Thank You for the report and congratz to all the winners and compeptitors...the pics and the Whippets on them are very nice.:cheers:

We are also very happy on Widow's successes....our full brothers and sister are 6 months old today, and we can't wait for their show debute in Puppy Class in Europe....will be interesting!  :)

Yes, that is right. I was pretty sure your litter was a repeat of the Wailing Widow litter.

She's a really nice bitch--shown very well all week by Lesley Potts, who is daughter of Ivy Potts (Klondyke Whippets).

WOW,thats brilliant Karen :cheers:

Well done to all connections

Look forward to some pics too

JAX, I took a photo of the Best of Winners dog with my cell phone and will see how it turned out, but I don't want to post anything unflattering of a dog that doesn't belong to me.

I'm not real techie, and the phone is out in the car, but I'll try e-mailing it to myself and see if it's any good.

I'm really impressed that so many shows over there you guys have people who can generate excellent photographs of all the winners right away for K9. Like I said, we usually have to wait on win photos to come in the mail and then scan them before we have anything from the actual show.

Karen

Excellent stuff Mister Butters and his substitute handler!

Many Congratulations to Kristen and Karen, I hope you have got a special bottle of something with bubbles in it cooling nicely for the next time you two meet up (w00t)

Cathie

Just think Karen , if we put Butters and Peanut together , look what we would get :lol:

But what about my frozen semen puppy Jelly?

We need all three. AKC allows a double-covered mating. Peanut Butter and Jelly.

:cheers: [SIZE=14pt]MANY CONGRATULATIONS[/SIZE] :cheers: to all concerned....I have always thought "Butters" to be a super dog and his brother Kohl is the same...just what I like!

WELL DONE!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCCESS, LOVELY YOUNG DOG :cheers:

JAX said:
WOW,thats brilliant Karen  :cheers:

Here is a link to a photo of the BOS bitch, "Bambi".

Ch. Woodsia Appraxin Whitetail

It's too big to show here. But it was on the Appraxin website so I presume they think it is a good one! I certainly do. Consistent judging at the top of the prize list, I would say.

Here is a link to photos of the Winner's Bitch:

BIF Snow Hill Calliope

Here is a link to photos of the Reserve Bitch--you have to look for Bitches and then choose the link to Wailing Widow:

C. Square Whippets home page

Still trying to find a photo of the Winners Dog and Best of Winners.

seaspot_run said:
JAX said:
WOW,thats brilliant Karen  :cheers:

Here is a link to a photo of the BOS bitch, "Bambi".

Ch. Woodsia Appraxin Whitetail

It's too big to show here. But it was on the Appraxin website so I presume they think it is a good one! I certainly do. Consistent judging at the top of the prize list, I would say.

Here is a link to photos of the Winner's Bitch:

BIF Snow Hill Calliope

Here is a link to photos of the Reserve Bitch--you have to look for Bitches and then choose the link to Wailing Widow:

C. Square Whippets home page

Still trying to find a photo of the Winners Dog and Best of Winners.

I am a huge Snow Hill Calliope fan....sorry, I just love blacks :b .

I have a very good and quite up-to-date pic of Wailing Widow, but I have no allowance showing it at the moment....will ask for it! :)

seaspot_run said:
But what about my frozen semen puppy Jelly?
We need all three.  AKC allows a double-covered mating.  Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Yep, I'll have one of those please :lol:

Well done, great result :cheers:

I love the photos of Butters, he is such a classy looking dog, but I'm not sure he should be allowed out in that heat, he might melt :sweating:

Thanks for sharing your news Karen----how exciting :teehee: Lovely pics

Yvonne

:huggles:

I just loved Butters when you posted puppy pics of him last year. :wub:

It is great to see that he is doing so brilliantly and fulfilling all his puppy promise.

:thumbsup:

Pauline

WOW, Karen, what a brilliant win, congrats to you all. :cheers: :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back