The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Anal Glands

littleminx

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Bit of a yucky subject :x but wondered what you guy's did, took Sandro to vets for 2nd jab and she went to take his temperture and he yellped like crazy and she said his anal gland's where sore and swollen so she "relieved" them for him. I had no idea that they where bad he showed no sign's at all.

One of my old gsd's was itching like mad once and the vet did her's for me other than that don't think about it. I know alot of people do there own dogs so was wondering what you do? Is it something you regulary check for or just see if your dog show's anything? Strange how Sandro was so sore but didn't show it :- "

i am glad you have asked this question littleminx harvey licks the area were i think is anal s are but it smells like mad when he does :x a bit fishy he doesnt do it all the time just now and then

Be careful when emptying anal glands if it is not done right you might cause an infection. When I was training as a dog groomer they did not recommend that we did anal glands but that was on other people’s dog. I have done my own dogs once. I had someone show me how to do it before trying.

Hi There,

Beware one vet i worked with relieved a dogs anal glands and ended up with it in his face and mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x

sunny

I think giving them a tablespoon of bran helps prevent this - but I can't remember the exact dosage or frequency so you might want to check with ILKC about this. A lady I know has spaniels and she does this. After years of expense having to visit the vet to have the glands "relieved" she now finds this a really good preventative :thumbsup:

I am always a bit dubious about this subject, cos when I had my terrier and went to stay at my parents, with their terrier, my mum took her dog to the vets for its annual jab and the vet asked when it had had its glands squeezed last. My mum said never ( mine hadnt had his done either and the dogs were 2 and 4 years old) and the vet said he had better have them done then. Since then, mums dog has been a real nuisance with his bottom which means regular squeezing sessions, whereas mine has never had a problem. Does having them done that first time mean a life time of lining the vets pockets??????????

peony said:
I am always a bit dubious about this subject, cos when I had my terrier and went to stay at my parents, with their terrier, my mum took her dog to the vets for its annual jab and the vet asked when it had had its glands squeezed last. My mum said never ( mine hadnt had his done either and the dogs were 2 and 4 years old) and the vet said he had better have them done then. Since then, mums dog has been a real nuisance with his bottom which means regular squeezing sessions, whereas mine has never had a problem. Does having them done that first time mean a life time of lining the vets pockets??????????
Most dogs very rarely (if ever) need them emptied. Some dogs have to get them emptied every few weeks!

Personally it's such a repulsive job I can't imagine any vet being daft enough to create work of this sort for themselves :x , but I do always recommend bran is added to the diet. Proper wheatgerm bran (not breakfast cereal) sprinkled into every meal helps the glands to empty the way nature intended. I'd say about a dessertspoonful for a whippet, give or take for bigger/smaller dogs. It's not critical. Definitely helps some dogs!

:oops: Oooooops ILKC, I hope you didnt think i was casting aspertions re vets etc, ( I do have a habit of typing and posting before engaging brain ) my point was does emptying of anal glands then make them more likely to need emptying again?

I cant imagine it is a pleasant job at all and would rather put my hands in cold sick, so please dont think I imagine vets do it just to earn a few pennies. Having worked in a veterinary practice for 4 years, slbeit an equine one, I know just how hard vets work for their cash!!

:x :x Oooh i have many yucky stories about :rant: anal glands, full/infected whatever.... from my dog grooming days. We never did it as standard but would on request at £5-00 easy money... But many times just by lifting a dogs tail up to trim the hair round the smelly bits caused them to squirt everywhere, beware the open mouth :x :x (w00t) :x the putrid smell is very hard to wash out of your hair too!!!

After seeing so many huge swollen infected glands and also owning a Greyhound who had terrible infections i started emptying my dogs glands everytime i bath them (every few months) and have never had a problem since then. Maybe just coincindence? (My dog's facial expressions always make me laugh when i do it :blink: :eek: :blink: :eek: :b they are non too impressed i can tell you!!!)

gina said:
:blink:   :eek:   :blink:   :eek:   :b they are non too impressed i can tell you!!!)

That's pretty much how Sandro looked with sound effect's (w00t)

Will try the bran as he has had to have them :x so early in life!!

Interesting advice and very useful as Megan had hers done a couple of wks ago when she had that bad tummy bug. The vet said hers were really full and she is still a puppy. He said he has a dog that comes in EVERY WEEK to get the glands emptied. I did bath her when she came home as boy she stank! One of my cats gets his emptied once a year when he goes for his booster and yip he is straight in the bath when he returns home as well :rant:

Kirsty

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back