The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Animal Health Cert for travel - help?

Gallarus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Good morning

This is my first post. Maya is a 4 year old Irish greyhound . We're planning to travel from Scotland to Belfast and on to the southwest in late December 21. The vet told me this morning that she can't make entries on Maya's EU passport, post Brexit. Therefore, a Health Cert is required and is going to cost £150! And will be required anew for each trip.

Is this info correct? It's a reputable vet practice. Has anyone found a way around or a cheaper option?

All the best,

Gallarus

I think @JoanneF might be able to help here, so I've tagged her.

That is absolutely correct. A UK vet entry renders the EU passport invalid, however the entry mainly needed in a passport is to record a rabies booster.

So if if Maya has an EU passport, and doesn't need a rabies booster before your trip, you can still use the passport, you don't need the AHC.

If you have rabies boosters administered by a vet in the EU, you could continue to use it indefinitely - provided you can time future trips to coincide with rabies shots.

By the way, I paid £250 for the AHC a few weeks ago, and I spoke to someone who paid £80, so costs vary enormously. If you do need to get one, shop around.

Another consideration - meat (including dog food) can't be taken from the UK to the EU.

Last edited:
Thank you, Joanne. That's really helpful. I wonder if there's a way to get a vet in Ireland to enter in the EU passport that Maya had a rabies shot in Glasgow today?
Of course, to travel, I also need to be able to show the tapeworm treatment has been given. Is an AHC required for that too? I think so. In which case there doesn't seem to be a way around paying (so much) for the vet cert. Thanks again.

Ah, sorry, I'd forgotten the tapeworm treatment was needed for Ireland. It isn't for France, which is where we travel to. Yes, you will unfortunately need the AHC for that.

Last gasp...do you (or anyone else) know of a vet registered and practicing in the UK and Ireland? Might be worth a shot.

Like working on both sides of the border, with two practices or part time in two surgeries? I don't, but I get what you are thinking - best bet might be to phone some vets close to the border.

Thank you. Will have a look online. There was agreement pre-Brexit for vets, who qualified in UK or Ireland, to be able to work in both areas.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back