The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Anorexia In My Lurcher

salukilurcher

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:( Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I have a 9 year old Saluki Lurcher called Billy. He's always been fit, runs everywhere and sleeps a lot - last week he suffered from a really sore leg and then had a fit where he went stiff and was shaking. I took him to the vet and after an ecg the vet said that he didn't know how Billy was still alive. Anyway, two days later we returned and Bill's heartbeat was back to normal. Over the next couple of days he got pickier and pickier with food and now that he won't eat at all. He just wants to go and stand in the front garden. I have just syringed him a tin of AD diet just to get him to eat something. Apart from this he's alert and wants to go for walks etc. Could anyone point me in the direction of what could be wrong with him. I'm really worried, but just want some idea to present to the vet, who is so entranced by the ecg reading that he doesn't seem to be taking anything else into account, even if it's potentially something awful I'd rather know than not know, so don't be afraid to give me any ideas you have. Fingers crossed for a reply!

hello and welcome to k9 ,have you tryed him with some chicken i know if one of mine is feeling poorly i boil sum chicken up and hand feed really small pieces ,hope hes feeling better soon and eating ,im shure somone on here will give you some good advice soon :)

Hello and welcome :thumbsup:

im sorry to hear that billy is ill, sorry no advice from me im afrais, but im sure there are others on here who might be able to help :thumbsup:

good luck :luck: :luck:

I should get back to your vet asap. He should help and should be able to find out what the problem is. Could just be old age? If he has a dicky heart that could have some thing to do with him not eating.

Try cooked chicken as suggested, good luck poor chap.

nicky12 said:
hello and welcome to k9 ,have you tryed him with some chicken i know if one of mine is feeling poorly i boil sum chicken up and hand feed really small pieces ,hope hes feeling better soon and eating ,im shure somone on here will give you some good advice soon  :)
Hi, Thanks for that, I boiled some chicken and he ate some of it, plus ate a bit of AD diet off my hand, it's settled my mind a bit. Hope that he feels the same tomorrow!

Could he have been bitten by a snake do you think ? that would account for for his leg and the venom can do allsorts in their system

salukilurcher said:
nicky12 said:
hello and welcome to k9 ,have you tryed him with some chicken i know if one of mine is feeling poorly i boil sum chicken up and hand feed really small pieces ,hope hes feeling better soon and eating ,im shure somone on here will give you some good advice soon  :)
Hi, Thanks for that, I boiled some chicken and he ate some of it, plus ate a bit of AD diet off my hand, it's settled my mind a bit. Hope that he feels the same tomorrow!

aww thats good news ,always works on my lot boiled chicken and especily if you hand feed them lol ,hope he eats more tomoz for you keep us updated wont you :huggles:

hi and welcome,

try giving him a tablespoon of powdered arrowroot in milk 3 times daily, it works a treat and you cant overdose them on it ! it will biuld up his appetite and line his stomache too, you can get it from health food shops or chemists and its only about a quid for a bag!

good luck hope he`s feeling better soon

I hope things look up soon --its awful when they're ill isn't it

lots of positive thoughts heading your way :huggles:

If Billy does not improve I would try a different vet. Do not like the sound of this one at all. He did not even try to find out what was the matter. Is there a possibility of a snake bite? If it is the case; look on the bright side. Anybody who gets bitten by venomous snake has bit more tolerance the next time around.

Over the past year or so I heard lots of sad news about dogs being bitten. One lady lost her Whippet when she got bitten inside the house, right in front of her eyes! Snakes here in OZ are lot more deadly than those in UK, there is no time to do anything, well about 5 minutes for some. :(

borzoi4 said:
hi and welcome,try giving him a tablespoon of powdered arrowroot in milk 3 times daily, it works a treat and you cant overdose them on it ! it will biuld up his appetite and line his stomache too, you can get it from health food shops or chemists and its only about a quid for a bag!

good luck hope he`s feeling better soon

Hi, I will definitely try that. I took him to the vet again today and it seems he is running a temperature, got some antibiotics and had the fan on him all day and he has actually eaten some digestive biscuits and some cooked chicken, fingers crossed this continues and he has had some weird infection that has been missed in his tests so far - but arrowroot is on my shopping list now xx

billy_out_and_about.jpg

Happy Humber said:
Could he have been bitten by a snake do you think ? that would account for for his leg and the venom can do allsorts in their system
You cheered me up so much last night! I live in Bolton Lancashire and the only snake I have seen was one that was found in someone's garden (a pet python) that was handed in when I worked at a local museum. I loved the thought tho, and appreciate you posting a message. Honestly, it was a ray of sunshine on a depressing day as I tried to imagine snakes in our local woods xx

Seraphina said:
If Billy does not improve I would try a different vet.  Do not like the sound of this one at all.  He did not even try to find out what was the matter.  Is there a possibility of a snake bite?  If it is the case; look on the bright side.  Anybody who gets bitten by venomous snake has bit more tolerance the next time around.
Over the past year or so I heard lots of sad news about dogs being bitten.  One lady lost her Whippet when she got bitten inside the house, right in front of her eyes!  Snakes here in OZ are lot more deadly than those in UK, there is no time to do anything, well about 5 minutes for some. :(

I wasn't keen on this vet, but when I tok him back today he actually took his temp (not been done on the past 3 occasions, and he is running a temperature, finally got some antibiotics, as I thought he could have an infection in his heart, so at least the vet listened, he seems a lot brighter so I'm keeping my fingers crossed - we had a Jack Russell who stopped eating, and eventually was diagnosed as having a failed kidney. we spent all our money getting the kidney removed and then she really improved for 3 weeks, only to get poorly again, it was only then that we found out that it was usual for kidney cancer to spread to the lungs, and that's what she died of - horrible. Exactly this time last year. So if he picks up and it lasts longer than 3 weeks I'll feel safe again. I love the idea of snakes. If you knew what Bolton was like you would feel the same. I think they'd avoid this place at all costs! Best Wishes xx

(w00t) I TOO LAUGHED OUT LOUD AT THE THOUGHT OF SNAKES IN BOLTON... AT THIS VERY MO IM WORKING IN BREIGHTMET, AND I LIVE IN HASLINGDEN.

ITS TOO COLD AND WORKING CLASS HERE FOR SNAKES (w00t) (w00t) .

ARROWROOT I GOOD FOR ALLSORTS. I HOPE YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT SOON. GOOD LUCK :luck: :luck: :luck:

2 of mine are off their food at the moment, although 1 can never get enough!. I think it is the hot weather I am also giving chicken which seems to be going down well. I am also in Bolton, just as well because I am terrified of snakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
MISS MOLLIES MUMMY said:
(w00t)   I TOO LAUGHED OUT LOUD AT THE THOUGHT OF SNAKES IN BOLTON... AT THIS VERY MO IM WORKING IN BREIGHTMET, AND I LIVE IN HASLINGDEN.
ITS TOO COLD AND WORKING CLASS HERE FOR SNAKES (w00t)   (w00t) .

ARROWROOT I GOOD FOR ALLSORTS. I HOPE YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT SOON. GOOD LUCK  :luck:   :luck:   :luck:

Yeah, I live in Hall I'Th' Wood so any snakes should watch out really.... Glad Bolton people can see the funny side of it too!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back