The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Another poo issue

Jack chi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have a 5 month cocker spaniel puppy who has some poo issues. The first month after we brought him home we fed him lilies kitchen puppy dried food and everything was fine. Then slowly over the next 2 months it all changed starting with good followed by soft throughout the day, now they are all soft. We asked advice from the vet nurse during his last month puppy check up and as there are no other symptoms she advised it could be food related. We are in the process of changing him over to a different dry and adding a wet food to see if it is food related (we don’t want to go raw). However there is another issue, when he goes he does one lot then moves to another location does another and sometimes even a third again in another location. His poo is formed but very soft and appears thinner than it should be when it was good. Has anyone had the same experiences from their puppy. It is difficult to know when to be concerned and visit the vet or what is normal for a puppy that will change as he gets older. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I think it would be worth a vet visit, because if there is some underlying health issue then trying different diets would be a waste of time and you really need to fix the underlying issue.

Speak to your vet surgery and see if you can bring a poo sample in for testing before you take puppy in. It might be something as simple and easily fixed as giardia.

It could be possible that you are feeding too much food to your puppy, this often results in soft or very soft poos:rolleyes:.
Lilly's Kitchen is one of the better grain free products.
What type of treats are you feeding him are they natural freeze dried products or man made pre shaped biscuit's.
What is the make of kibble and wet food you are offering him now ?
As @JudyN has mentioned before changing foods it may be worth speaking to your vet about some other underlying problem before blaming the food.
Our vets and nurses are not nutritionists!! Please read the attachment it may help you understand :)
Myths About Raw: Is my vet really qualified to be giving nutritional advice?

I hope you manage to solve your problem.

PS. We have 7 Cockers that vary from 8 months to 12 years, all raw fed, no problems.

I think it would be worth a vet visit, because if there is some underlying health issue then trying different diets would be a waste of time and you really need to fix the underlying issue.
He was checked over by the vet nurse during his monthly check up and he was not showing any other symptoms. She asked the vet and he said see if it’s food related first, if it gets worse to bring him in. We have now completed the change over of his food and will see how he goes on. He is due for his 6 month check up next week and if there is no change then we will seek further advice from the vet. We just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experience from dry food and doing 2 or 3 poos each time.

It could be possible that you are feeding too much food to your puppy, this often results in soft or very soft poos:rolleyes:.
Lilly's Kitchen is one of the better grain free products.
What type of treats are you feeding him are they natural freeze dried products or man made pre shaped biscuit's.
What is the make of kibble and wet food you are offering him now ?
As @JudyN has mentioned before changing foods it may be worth speaking to your vet about some other underlying problem before blaming the food.
Our vets and nurses are not nutritionists!! Please read the attachment it may help you understand :)
Myths About Raw: Is my vet really qualified to be giving nutritional advice?

I hope you manage to solve your problem.

PS. We have 7 Cockers that vary from 8 months to 12 years, all raw fed, no problems.

We were feeding him a bit over the recommended amount and reduced it. We have also changed his treats to a natural type. His new food is Ava kibble and step up to naturals wet food. We are looking at all the basic issues for soft poo first and if no change then see the vet next week when he has his 6 month check up.

Speak to your vet surgery and see if you can bring a poo sample in for testing before you take puppy in. It might be something as simple and easily fixed as giardia.
If there is no change by next week we will take a sample in when he has his 6 month check up.

He was checked over by the vet nurse during his monthly check up and he was not showing any other symptoms. She asked the vet and he said see if it’s food related first, if it gets worse to bring him in. We have now completed the change over of his food and will see how he goes on. He is due for his 6 month check up next week and if there is no change then we will seek further advice from the vet. We just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experience from dry food and doing 2 or 3 poos each time.
Pooing habits can vary so much from dog to dog and even with same one, their outcome is not always same from one push to another. One of mine tends to have one 'main poo' and little while later do the final 'squeeze' to produce teeny bit more that is often bit more softer/runnier. The main thing is to recognize that what comes out is less than what goes in through the other end. Well digested food should produce less bulk than the food quantity was originally like.
If the digestion is issue, it could well be that you dog's gut doesn't have enough good bacteria...supplemented probiotics would soon help with this as well as firming the poos up.
You can buy dog probiotics on line much cheaper than vets do....and it would not surprise me that would be their next suggestion to try on.

The main thing is to recognize that what comes out is less than what goes in through the other end. Well digested food should produce less bulk than the food quantity was originally like.

I'm convinced that when Jasper was on kibble, more came out than went in:confused:

I have had a similar thing with my puppy. Vet was adamant is was not food related and when I took him off his current food it improved rapidly. I also give him yu digest probiotics and this helps as well. He is currently on chicken and rice and starting to wean him back onto something else. The vet did give him medicine for giardia but this is just worming treatment so didn’t bother testing for it first as it is not worth it as worming treatment won’t harm him if he doesn’t have it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back