The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Another Rottie Pts

I have to agree with you jane. I wouldn't trust any dog 100% with a toddler.

I had a friend who had a cross breed afew years ago who came round to my house in tears saying she was off to take the dog to be pts because it had bitten her 3yrold. I asked her what had happened and knew the dog and the child.

Apparently the little girl had been bouncing on the bed with the dog and had grabbed the dogs ears for him to bounce with her, of course she hurt the dog so he snapped to warn her to stop (a dogs only way of telling ) he must have just caught the little girls face and there was a tiny mark on her face. I said to my neighbour that IMO it was not the dogs fault after all if he had wanted to really bite the girl she would have been a real mess.

I had seen this little girl pulling the dog about many times so the poor dog must have just been at the end of its tether.

I blame my neighbour for not watching the little girl not the dog. Hence i didnt speak to her for a very long time after the incident!

I am not saying this is the case for all children bitten by dogs but i would have to know the full story before condeming any dog.

My children have been brought up to respect animal and have always had whippet around right from when they were born.

I was bitten by my first whippet when I was seven BUT I had bitten his ear!!!! serves me right!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our grandaughter is threee years old and the rules are that when she is at our house the dogs are never left alone with her, if they get silly they go straight into a cage. we all know the rules and that's the way it is. They are good dogs when she is around, as though they know they have to be gentle, but they are dogs and it is our job to keep everyone happy. We have tried our best to teach her to respect them and be gentle with them but whippets show off and so do three years old little girls so we are never complacent. It only takes a moment for an incident to happen and the fault has to lie with the responsible adult.

Jenny

dawn said:
I have to agree with you jane.  I wouldn't trust any dog 100% with a toddler.
I had a friend who had a cross breed afew years ago who came round to my house in tears saying she was off to take the dog to be pts because it had bitten her 3yrold.  I asked her what had happened and knew the dog and the child.

Apparently the little girl had been bouncing on the bed with the dog and had grabbed the dogs ears for him to bounce with her, of course she hurt the dog so he snapped to warn her to stop (a dogs only way of telling ) he must have just caught the little girls face and there was a tiny mark on her face.  I said to my neighbour that IMO it was not the dogs fault after all if he had wanted to really bite the girl she would have been a real mess.

I had seen this little girl pulling the dog about many times so the poor dog must have just been at the end of its tether.

I blame my neighbour for not watching the little girl not the dog. Hence i didnt speak to her for a very long time after the incident!

I am not saying this is the case for all children bitten by dogs but i would have to know the full story before condeming any dog.

My children have been brought up to respect animal and have always had whippet around right from when they were born.

I was bitten by my first whippet when I was seven BUT I had bitten his ear!!!! serves me right!!!

Thanks for your reply i would have done the same if iwas you re neighboure poor dog everytime.

Jane Green said:
dawn said:
I have to agree with you jane.  I wouldn't trust any dog 100% with a toddler.
I had a friend who had a cross breed afew years ago who came round to my house in tears saying she was off to take the dog to be pts because it had bitten her 3yrold.  I asked her what had happened and knew the dog and the child.

Apparently the little girl had been bouncing on the bed with the dog and had grabbed the dogs ears for him to bounce with her, of course she hurt the dog so he snapped to warn her to stop (a dogs only way of telling ) he must have just caught the little girls face and there was a tiny mark on her face.  I said to my neighbour that IMO it was not the dogs fault after all if he had wanted to really bite the girl she would have been a real mess.

Thanks for your reply i would have done the same if iwas you re neighboure poor dog everytime.

It only takes a moment for an incident to happen and the fault has to lie with the responsible adult.

So true Jenny

The first incident that was in the news has failed to tell the whole story.

The parents didn't let the dogs near the baby. She was asleep in the bedroom in her moses basket, so Amy and Lee thought they'd make the most of a bit of peace and get some jobs done, they were moving furniture at the time. Unfortunately, someone left the door open and the dogs ran in whilst they were downstairs, the dogs went into the bedroom and removed the baby from the moses basket. The rest is too upsetting to think about :'(

Amy would've never let the dogs near the baby purposely as they are obviously guard dogs, to protect the pub, and rightly so in an area like that!

This incident was just a very tragic accident and has totally devastated the family.

[SIZE=14pt]Rest in peace with the angels now baby girl [/SIZE] :huggles:

The first instinct is to get the dog PTS after biting a child, its natural. But a lot of parents don't think it through properly and collect all the evidence and information. When my daughter was a toddler, she fell onto our lurcher (a very placid natured dog) who was sleeping in his basket. He went on to savage her (not just a bite). I spent hours that night in hospital and the plastic surgeons managed to put her ear back on and stitch up the numerous deep wounds on her head. I blamed myself for days, but thinking about it i never left her alone with him, all three of us were together at the time. Toddlers fall when learning to walk, just unlucky she fell where she did. It was the police and the vets that persuaded me to put him to sleep as they said that with the size of the attack and his taste of blood, he could possibly do it again and it is against the law to rehome a dog that has a history of attacks, provoked or not.

Since then i let the kids play with the dogs, responsibly. I agree though that if a child was teasing and the dog snapped i would be inclined to tell the child off!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back