The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Anxious dog

Valk2015

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I have an 18 month old collie/spaniel cross and I'm having a few issues with him.

A bit of background may help. We got him from a family who had 3 pups from the mother. When we went to pick him up he was hiding under the kennel with his sister. The other pup, we were told was a bit of a bully. Anyway we took him home and he spent most of the next couple of days with his head buried in the crook of someone's arm or behind a cushion.

Pretty soon it became apparent that he was very scared. We went on puppy socializing courses and he hid or submitted the whole time to every dog. He would literally jump into our arms to get away. The wind scares him, doors slamming scare him and he wets himself whenever a man comes near him. Women and children he is very warm and friendly with.

We would walk in the local park twice daily and in the last three weeks he point blank refuses to go near the park. He sits and won't be cajoled or pulled into the park. He is happy to walk elsewhere.

I guess I'm looking for advice on dealing and encouraging what is obviously a very anxious dog.

Your poor puppy dog! He sounds likes such a scared little man!

My best advice would be to hire a behaviorist. They will work with one on one to help not just your puppy dog but you too.

Clearly puppy class is too stressful for him at this time, so one on one rehabilitation (if you will) i think will be the best bet.

It will be a slow process but slow and steady runs the race!

I'm so sorry that i cannot really help you, but there will be others on here that will also be able to guide you in the right direction, but do get in touch with a one to one dog trainer, it really will help.

Please do research before picking a trainer and some of them are no worth their salt!

Sophie x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back