The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any help appreciated

Sonya Anderson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi we have a gorgeous puppy named Bella, 12 weeks and doing great, toilet trained, sleeps overnight in crate until about 6... crate trained following the training guides. The issue is we have tried over the last week to leave her in crate during the day, for very short spells - 5, 10, 15 mins and she gets so distressed she soils the crate. She never does this any other time and regularly goes in her crate herself during the day and loves it... so the issue is when we leave.. this is happening daily.. any kind advice? Thanks

Hate crates so advice would be to try other methods...she's a very young puppy and has had a huge change of lifestyle- you say yourself she is getting distressed so my first impulse would be to stop doing what's distressing her. She is not used to be alone- give her more freedom and distractions... leaving a puppy in a room with toys, things to destroy (cardboard is good) and maybe background music, radio seems to me much kinder.

If she's happy for you to leave her when she's out of the crate and isn't destructive, I'd do that. If she's still not happy when you leave... have a read of this post: Separation anxiety

Thanks both I will have a read... she loves the crate when we are in, she’s lying in there now with her toy chewing away... no probs overnight so as you say separation anxiety - I know she’s only a baby so it’s to be expected... just don’t like seeing her so distressed. Appreciate the advice it’s been over 14 years since we had a puppy all advice is appreciated

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back