The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Any ideas what this could be?

Discussion in 'Dog Health' started by Alanward87, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Alanward87

Alanward87 Member Registered

As the title suggests any ideas? My boy is just over 8 months old. We are based in Nottinghamshire but have recently spent time in the new forest and in Norfolk. It's not to clear but he seems to have developed patchy fur on his chest where fur is thinning and the sore shown in the other photo. He is fine in himself, eating normally and very active as you would expect for a boxer. He is 25kg and still gaining weight month by month. It doesn't seem to bother him in any way either. I haven't seen him even acknowledge the area so I would assume it's not itchy.

Attached Files:

2. Kara 1

Kara 1 Well-Known Member Registered

Could it be ringworm.....

3. Alanward87

Possibly..... I hadn't considered it as he regularly has flea and worm treatment as he is on a pet plan at the vets. Now you mention it the marking is similar to ringworm but I'm not 100% sure. Guess its ring vets to get them to take a look.

4. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

Ringwrm is a fungus, not a worm, so flea and worm products won't protect against it.

excuseme likes this.
  5. Alanward87

Learn something new every day. It's a very misleading name.

6. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Ringworm was my first thought too but it is very, very contagious so if nobody else has symptoms that makes it less likely.

7. Alanward87

No, being a boxer every evening he picks one off us to lay on and snores in our ears. He is constantly in contact with us and no signs from anyone else.

8. Ari_RR

Ari_RR Well-Known Member Registered

Is this is one spot, or many spots?
    I would look up images of pyoderma on the internet and see if they look like what your boy has.

9. Alanward87

It's just a single spot and he also has some reddening between his toes. He has been to the vets today and given a course of steroids as they believe it to be an allergic reaction to something. I'm not sure what though as he has not eaten or come into contact with anything out of the ordinary as far as I'm aware....

10. merlina

merlina Well-Known Member Registered

Could be allergy- a plant ,say, that he's walked through and trodden in. Though would expect a bit of itching. If you've stayed somewhere new could even be a cleaning product. Good luck with him anyway.