The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Anyone with breeding experience that can help?

Supermum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A friend of mine took on a shih tzu on 28th June, Gracie was at end of a season and my friend was assured that although she has 2 litters of shih tzus of different ages for sale and male shih tzu (Gracie's father) and a staff around Gracie had not mated. Well it turns out that was a fib and Gracie is 6-7 weeks pregnant (we think, she had a home scanner out last week that checked for the pregnancy and said she was roughly 5-6 weeks, we have no clue when she mated or which dog with. Anyways I posted on a Shih tzu forum and was recommended Gracie has an X-ray just before she is due(we think she would be due around 22nd August the week my friend is on holiday so Gracie will be staying with me)

My friend has contacted 2 vets that say they won't do it, as the advice I have is from breeders from another country I was wondering if it needs to be done (I do like sound of it for checking if they will be right size for her to deliver or not) or what vets will do it (I'm in Coventry)

Poor Gracie is only a year old so still a baby herself, my friend and I both want to do everything possible to make sure she and her pups get the best start possible. Any help would be very much appreciated x

First I am not a breeder but x-rays when possibly pregnant is definitely wrong, this would apply to all mammals the developing foetus can easily be damaged. Any investigation on a pregnant bitch must only be using an ultra sound which can not cause damage.

Thank you, I'm getting mixed advice everywhere. She is booked for an ultrasound on Tuesday, the vet is confident we will know if she can deliver on her own or not. X

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back