The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Apartment Akitas

BrianLovesAkitas

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys. I've been researching dogs for about 4 years and I am yet to own one. I don't know if I will move into an apartment or house but I will be completely devoted to my dog by giving it as many hours of exercise it needs. A breed I really like are Akitas. They would suit the quiet noise I need and would be able to protect me while I go out my self. I am however, a first time owner but as said before, I've done years of research. This summer I will be getting a dog and I want to know if it's a good idea to get an akita. I know they are quiet hard to train but I am completely ready for that. I also may need to leave it from 8-4 (my school times) and I want to know if it's fine. I will devote around 2 - 2 and a half hours to physical exercise and around 1 hour to tricks like sit. Please let me know if it's a smart decision to get an Akita as a first time dog owner. I have been around dogs my whole life, especially my uncles big one. Thanks. The apartment will be 2 bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and a toilet. If it's a house, then I don't think I need to explain it. Thank you for all your answers in advance.

Eight hours a day is a long time to leave any dog. Too long really. If you can make provision such as day care, it might be ok but Akitas are not forgiving dogs especially for a first time owner. Make a mistake with training and you could have serious behavioural fallout. You also mention school so I am guessing you are quite young. So as well as what I said, 8 hours school plus two hours walk plus one hour training plus 8 hours sleeping will leave you virtually no time before you even think about your other interests and social life. Also, if you are in school you are quite young - in the next 10 years you will graduate, get full time work, meet a partner - those are big changes. Then there is the cost - feeding a big dog well is not cheap, insurance and vet bills also have to be factored in. I am sorry to sound so dismissive but most of us who are responsible dog owners have had to wait until our lifestyle can accommodate dog ownership, and with good reason. Why not volunteer at your local rescue for now - you get your dog fix, they get help, and you can build some valuable experience without the massive commitment and responsibilities that dog ownership brings.

Eight hours a day is a long time to leave any dog. Too long really. If you can make provision such as day care, it might be ok but Akitas are not forgiving dogs especially for a first time owner. Make a mistake with training and you could have serious behavioural fallout. You also mention school so I am guessing you are quite young. So as well as what I said, 8 hours school plus two hours walk plus one hour training plus 8 hours sleeping will leave you virtually no time before you even think about your other interests and social life. Also, if you are in school you are quite young - in the next 10 years you will graduate, get full time work, meet a partner - those are big changes. Then there is the cost - feeding a big dog well is not cheap, insurance and vet bills also have to be factored in. I am sorry to sound so dismissive but most of us who are responsible dog owners have had to wait until our lifestyle can accommodate dog ownership, and with good reason. Why not volunteer at your local rescue for now - you get your dog fix, they get help, and you can build some valuable experience without the massive commitment and responsibilities that dog ownership brings.
Are you suggesting that I shouldn't get a dog at my current age?

Are you suggesting that I shouldn't get a dog at my current age?
Not because of your age as such; but because of your lifestyle and the way a young person's life develops so fast.

May I ask your age to add some perspective to this thread?

Okay Akitas are very big dogs, but so adorable! An apartment or a house there is no difference as long as they have a warm place to stay and a bed to sleep in, no matter if this is the rug in the lounge or your bed! :) They are fun, bouncy and crazy, there is also buts to this breed. So I will explain the Pros and then the Cons to having this breed of dog.

Pros of Akitas:
  • They are calm.

• Not prone to barking.

• Extremely smart.

• Patient.
Cons of Akitas:
  • They NEED to be observed around other animals and children.

• They shed so much.

• Need a large amount of training.

• Must have a lot of daily exercise. (A dog walker could help with this)
If you have an income witch i assume you do, i would consider a dog walker and a dog day care or boarding kennels.
The average cost for feeding an Akitas is: £7.50-10 per week
Do you mind me asking your age because if your in collage you will probably have free periods (I presume) where you could walk your dog.
What I will suggest is get your dog from a breeder and do lots of research on this breed. I give you lots of luck with your process of finding your companion!

Last edited:
Okay Akitas are very big dogs, but so adorable! An apartment or a house there is no difference as long as they have a warm place to stay and a bed to sleep in, no matter if this is the rug in the lounge or your bed! :) They are fun, bouncy and crazy, there is also buts to this breed. So I will explain the Pros and then the Cons to having this breed of dog.

Pros of Akitas:
  • They are calm.

• Not prone to barking.

• Extremely smart.

• Patient.
Cons of Akitas:
  • They NEED to be observed around other animals and children.

• They shed so much.

• Need a large amount of training.

• Must have a lot of daily exercise. (A dog walker could help with this)
If you have an income witch i assume you do, i would consider a dog walker and a dog day care or boarding kennels.
Do you mind me asking your age because if your in collage you will probably have free periods (I presume) where you could walk your dog.
What I will suggest is get your dog from a breeder and do lots of research on this breed. I give you lots of luck with your process of finding your companion!
As I'm 13, I don't have an income however my parents have agreed to spend whatever I ask them to on the dog, as they trust me because of all the time I've spent on research. If not an akita, do you have any other suitable breeds? I need something to put off potential harmers to me. One of my main attractions to the akita is the barking as if I go to an apartment, something that doesn't bark as much would be nice. I have already told my parents and they agree I can go out by my self to get exercise for my dog for a few hours at a time. There will be no children around as I am an only child and my parents are planning to get another one and I am quite responsible around dogs. I know for example not to pull its tail and to not bother it while it's eating. I would consider a dog walker or something during my school hours, to keep it entertained.

Wow that’s young I was expecting you to be like at least 15.

Right im going to list about 4-8 different breeds;

• Boston Terrier

• Miniture Schnauzer/Standard Schnauzer

• Coton de Tulear

• Cavalier king charles spaniel

• Greyhounds
  • Dobermans

**Theys are just suggestions**

As I'm 13, I don't have an income however my parents have agreed to spend whatever I ask them to on the dog, as they trust me because of all the time I've spent on research. If not an akita, do you have any other suitable breeds? I need something to put off potential harmers to me. One of my main attractions to the akita is the barking as if I go to an apartment, something that doesn't bark as much would be nice. I have already told my parents and they agree I can go out by my self to get exercise for my dog for a few hours at a time. There will be no children around as I am an only child and my parents are planning to get another one and I am quite responsible around dogs. I know for example not to pull its tail and to not bother it while it's eating. I would consider a dog walker or something during my school hours, to keep it entertained.
Are you moving out at the age 13?

Are you moving out at the age 13?
No. However, My parents leave early and come home late. I usually get around 2 - 3 hours alone after I come home from school and they say I can walk my dog by my self around the park and where ever we're moving. I don't want my parents getting worried as I think they'd be more comfortable with me walking around with (as an example) a german shepherd than a pomerian.

I was looking at dobermans too. They seem really cool and meet my needs. Do you think doberman would be a good idea?
Yes Dobermans and Rottweiler's are amazingly friendly and loyal but are wary of strangers. You will still need to research this breed due to health issues etc.

I also need your help for another thing. My mom HATES big dog breeds. I can't tell if she's joking or not but she is scared for my safety because she has read a lot of news stories where children are killed or mauled by big dogs like German shepherd. My dad however has no problem at all with big dogs. Is there any way I can convince her that just because a dog looks scary doesn't mean it's dangerous? I showed her the doberman and she immediately said "no why are you getting such big scary dogs why can't you get a small dog."

Owned dobermans for 12 years...they are a breed for more experienced owners. If I spend 5 minutes making a mistake with my dobe I'll spend 5 hours trying to correct it. I ruled akitas out of my breed list due to the fact they require very experienced owners. The dogs used listed are all extremely high energy working dogs when all you want is a companion dog, like a shih tzu. I am unsure how, after years of research, you still don't know what breed is suitable for your lifestyle and meets your needs. The first thing I worked out was what breeds would suit me. You need a low energy more agreeable dog than the ones you've mentioned.

ETA Depending where you are there are also restrictions. People under 16 aren't allowed to walk dogs over a certain weight and height in my area, for example.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back