The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Are dog vibrating and spray collars efficient?

Calmdogstore

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey fellow dog lovers,

I’ve been working on training my dog for a while now, but barking has always been a bit of a challenge. He’d bark at everything – the doorbell, other dogs, and even random noises outside. I didn’t want to use anything too harsh, but after doing some research and talking to a trainer, I found a few solutions that worked like a charm, so I thought I’d share!

Here are a few tips that helped reduce my dog's barking:

1. Basic Training Commands: Reinforcing commands like "quiet" and "stay" was key. Every time he barked unnecessarily, I would use the "quiet" command, and reward him when he stopped.
  2. Distraction Techniques: Keeping him mentally and physically stimulated with puzzle toys and longer walks helped a lot. When he was tired, he barked less.
  3. Positive Reinforcement: I always try to reward him when he stays calm during situations that usually trigger barking (like the postman!).
  4. Humane Bark Control Collars: After trying different methods, I finally decided to use a citronella bark control collar – it emits a gentle spray that’s harmless but effective. I was hesitant at first, but it worked without causing any stress to my dog. Now, he’s calmer and more responsive during training.
Has anyone else used bark control collars? I’m curious to hear about your experiences. If you’re considering trying one, I found this collars on Calmshops that comes with a great warranty and free returns, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Looking forward to hearing your tips and thoughts!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Untitled design.png
    Untitled design.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
Welcome to the forum. I would never use a citronella spray on a dog - dogs' noses are very sensitive and this could be horribly aversive. At best, it might stop the barking, but the dog still feels the need to bark and is now scared to do so, so will be very stressed. Also, the spray is likely to linger on the dog, so be unpleasant even after he has stopped barking.

It can be a problem on walks as well. It might spray on other dogs who come close, and could also be set off when another dog close by barks, possibly making your dog scared of the other dog, or dogs barking in general. I'd stick to your first three steps!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back