The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Are we doing to much

John Wood

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi , we took our cocker spaniel for a run in the woods on Wednesday afternoon but it ended up being around 5 miles mainly because we went the wrong way , my wife had already done around 2 miles with him in the morning and then took him for an hour the next morning (Thursday) . When I got home from work he was limping badly so we are resting him and only taking him out to go toilet and that’s it . He isn’t limping as bad today but he just doesn’t seem interested in going for a walk . Have we been doing too much with him ? Or does he just need a few days rest ?
He is 13 months old and we normally take him out for around an hour in the morning and the same again in the evening he is always up for it but we feel maybe we should give him less .

He should be fine for two hour-long walks a day, but like us, if he went significantly further than normal, he might be feeling a bit creaky. Or he could have hurt something - have you had a good look at his pads? If you press each one in turn you might get an indication of whether any hurt.

Otherwise, I'd just give him a quiet day or two (or more if he's still limping), maybe with shorter lead walks if he wants to.

He should be fine for two hour-long walks a day, but like us, if he went significantly further than normal, he might be feeling a bit creaky. Or he could have hurt something - have you had a good look at his pads? If you press each one in turn you might get an indication of whether any hurt.

Otherwise, I'd just give him a quiet day or two (or more if he's still limping), maybe with shorter lead walks if he wants to.

We have checked his pads and had a good feel and we can’t see anything and he doesn’t whimper so are assuming he has just hurt it as he is full on in the woods .
The limp is much better today so he will probably be ok if we go gentle with him for the weekend or until he acts like he needs more .
It’s good to know we aren’t over doing it with him for the most part .

I would have thought he has ‘over-done’ it, 7 miles in one day for a 23 month old pup is a bit too much!
A couple of days rest will sort him!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back