The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

At Wits end with Sylva......

SylvasMum2020

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We've had Sylva for four years, we adopted her from Romania and after the initial few weeks of her being scared of everything, she soon became a lovely dog who we could take everywhere!

The last couple of years though, on a few occasions she heard distant gun shots and was absolutely petrified shaking and trying to escape and just run! So, ever since then, she has been a nightmare to take anywhere, :(:( doesn't matter if we go to a town (She's heard noises she doesn't like there too!) or out in the countryside (We nearly always hear a shot when out in the countryside!!), she is already really anxious as soon as we get out of the car and it's become so stressful to take her almost anywhere now.

The only place she likes being walked is around our village and very small town, but both my partner and I like to get out and about as much as we can visiting places, walking in the countryside (Which is the main reason we wanted a dog in the first place!) etc, but if we go anywhere now we just get stressed and argue because Sylva always plays up, so we either have to not go anywhere or just go somewhere for a couple of hours and leave Sylva inside, but that means we can't go out for the whole day, which we really like to do as often as we can, especially as we can't afford to go on holiday, and haven't been on one since 2019.

We have very little money, so can't afford to pay anybody to look after her, and we don't have any family or close friends who we can ask, and I am getting very depressed with it all because I feel trapped here, and I don't like where I live, so walking Slyva has become a chore instead of a pleasure, because she's only really happy walking around here, and pretty much nowhere else. :( One day we went out on our own for a few hours and left her out in the garden because we didn't want to leave her shut in, but she barked all the time so we had complaints from the neighbours when we got home. :emoji_disappointed:

We do of course try to understand that she must have been very traumatised by gun shots when she was a puppy, to have such an extreme reaction, and know it's not her fault, but we are beginning to really resent her because of her restricting our lives so much. We don't have many friends, but when we do meet up with them, she's so distracting wherever we take her that it's really difficult to ever let go and enjoy ourselves. She will also pull out of her harness if she wants to get away and she has done this a couple of times now, but luckily we managed to stop her running out into the road!

We really don't know what to do, we are at our wits end, and have even considered trying to find a new home for her! :emoji_cry:

We did buy her a large bottle of Bachs Rock Rose for extreme terror and panic, a couple of months ago and she seemed to be improving a bit on that, but it didn't seem to last once the bottle was finished, the behaviour soon came back. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

I'm not an expert, but it sounds as if it could be a form of PTSD, which dogs can get as well as humans. Behavioural treatment, with very gradual desensitisation (to going to different places and to unexpected noises), can work, though it would probably take a long time. Stress-relieving natural treatments (other than Bach Flower Remedies), and also prescription medication may also help. If you haven't discussed this with your vet, I would get their thoughts. I would suggest asking for a referral to a vet behaviourist, but I'm aware that your pockets aren't deep.

Maybe others here could give some thoughts... Many people find that their life is curtailed because of 'quirky' dogs, but it sounds like you're finding it difficult, so I hope you can find a solution.

It would be worth starting the Rock Rose Bach flower remedy again, if you found it gave her some relief. Have a look at Star of Bethlehem Bach flower too and see what you think. It might be worth adding that one also. (Though I do have to add I am not a therapist, these are just ones I'd consider...). Stress and anxiety are such a profound experiences for dogs that are triggered through past experiences or trauma and once they are in that fear cycle, it becomes a case of trying to manage it and that has to be a slow, positive and gentle process...

I do really feel for you as it's clear you really care for her and do understand her behaviour and that she absolutely can't help it, but that it is impacting your lives also... the more frustrated and stressed you are, the more anxious and stressed Sylva will be too... sadly there is no easy or quick fix to this.

As Judy says, please do speak to your vet also, medication may well help when used along side behavioural therapy... I'll tag @JoanneF , she's good with this subject!

Thanks Flobo but my suggestion would likely also be the same - to try a combination of medication with desensitisation. Sylva can't learn to cope with her stress while she is in a state of stress, so it would probably be best if your vet can give her something to take the edge off, then you can start workig on the behaviour by playing very quiet recordings of gunshot, while giving very very good treats. That would help change the association from 'bangs are scary' to 'bangs are good because they make sausages happen'.

But do try to get something from the vet, the medications they prescribe will be more effective than over the counter remedies. Medications (like for humans) have developed a lot over the years so there's no need for it to turn her into a zombie. And, watch your timing with the treats, you don't want her thinking 'oh no, it's the sausages so there's going to be scary noises'.

I appreciate money is tight but a session with a behaviourist (provided they are good) could be helpful to make sure our are on the right track. On that note, training and behaviour are unregulated and anyone can call themselves a behaviourist. So if you do go that route, and would like us to check someone's credentials online, please do ask.

Does the rescue group that you got her from have a a behaviourist, or offer any other support?

I agree with Flobo and suggest the "Bach flower" remedies, a much more gentle type of treatment that she has already responded well to. You will not have to pay for expensive vet consultations and it has proven to work for Sylva, why did you stop her treatment?

I do feel whether you restart the Bach flower remedies or have something from the vet, she will need behavioural input along side...

"Bach flower" remedies, a much more gentle type of treatment that she has already responded well to.
If these were enough to calm her, yes. I just got the impression something more potent was needed at least to start this.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back