The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bad cut under stopper pad

littleman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Really fed up, 5 days before he went back for his final check I had left him with his cone on while I went shopping returned to find his bed covered in blood. I can only assume he was mucking around and caught himself on the edge of the plastic dogs bed and opened the wound up again. I decided to let it heal itself so salt baths twice a day and manuka honey on a dressing at night, lead walks just short distance and after 3 weeks had healed nicely. He was allowed off lead for gentle run and all was going fine until yesterday when he chased a rabbit and braked . Result was he has opened the cut under his stopper pad again.

Question: Will it ever heal well enough for him to be able to chase after the lure, a ball etc I really don't want to get him sedated again and restitched as the first lot never worked.

Any advice anyone or previous experience

Thank you

Problem (this is from personal experience in a very intimate area) if its been stitched and a stitch popped, it can not be re-stitched or it will cause more damage than it will solve.... My suggestion would be let it heal as you did previously, but dress it with a bandage that holds it closed for a lot longer.....and then tape

It will heal in time, assuming he doesn't take to worrying at it if it itches.

Bandage with Vetwrap before letting him chase anything while the ground is firm. Once the wet weather returns (never far away) and the ground softens you will be able to leave off the bandaging.

Good luck

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back