The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Balance Potato Scales

Rob Rixon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all

I've got a chance of getting hold of some newish Imperial Scales - like those used by the WCRA when Peter Spokes was the Secretary, for weighing Whippets.

Can anyone remember the possible problems (other than there were not very portable - in fact dam heavy to lift), when using these scales.

Picture attached

Rob Rixon ;)

Scales2.jpg

They moved alot which made some of my dogs a bit nervous when standing on them plus not all dogs want to stand still on them esp when other dogs are barking!!

Brian Mott had these scales at Linton Club but they kept sticking.

Do you not remember, or was you on your break

I agree with comments made, they may be good for potatoes but not for whippets when they are hyped up waiting to race, it is easy also to put a foot on or under the scales to alter the weight. They are not up to British standards & can't be checked by the weights & measure authority, so a whippet's weight can be brought into dissrepute. Ok for personal use but would not recomended for use at an open or championship!!!

I agree with comments made, they may be good for potatoes but not for whippets when they are hyped up waiting to race, it is easy also to put a foot on or under the scales to alter the weight. They are not up to British standards & can't be checked by the weights & measure authority, so a whippet's weight can be brought into dissrepute. Ok for personal use but would not recomended for use at an open or championship!!!
I don't think Peter Spokes had any trouble using this type of scale with owners putting their foot under the platform. They can be up to British Standard - accurate - and checked by Weights and Measures Authority - they can also be checked against 'stone' dead weights - as all the current weigh scales used by the clubs are.

I think if you were weighing Potatoes and short measuring your customers you may well soon be in trouble.

I don't think Peter Spokes had any trouble using this type of scale with owners putting their foot under the platform. They can be up to British Standard - accurate - and checked by Weights and Measures Authority - they can also be checked against 'stone' dead weights - as all the current weigh scales used by the clubs are.

I think if you were weighing Potatoes and short measuring your customers you may well soon be in trouble.

Hi allI've got a chance of getting hold of some newish Imperial Scales - like those used by the WCRA when Peter Spokes was the Secretary, for weighing Whippets.

Can anyone remember the possible problems (other than there were not very portable - in fact dam heavy to lift), when using these scales.

Picture attached

Rob Rixon ;)

I have checked with the local Weights & Measures Authority who have advised me that this type of scale are designed for stationary objects & that is why they can stick if LIVE objects are weighed on them & they would NOT garantee weights if used for dogs as they only now recomend the digital stand on type as used by vets

at the scottish open we use stand on digital platform scales and the weight is clear for all to see, unlike some opens and champs where only the weighman or woman can see. also weigh in is far quicker my advice is to sell your potatoe scales on the antiques roadshow next time their in town and invest in modern equipment

HERE, HERE.

You are right they are going backwards, they need a change of direction.

The WCRA had more modern stand on scales back in the late 80's early 90's.

What happened to them. Toddy was the clerk of the scales at the time .

I would suggest they keep them for weighing there potatoes incase they are sold under weight veg.

HERE, HERE.You are right they are going backwards, they need a change of direction.

The WCRA had more modern stand on scales back in the late 80's early 90's.

What happened to them. Toddy was the clerk of the scales at the time .

I would suggest they keep them for weighing there potatoes incase they are sold under weight veg.
I never even mentioned they (the WCRA) in my original bit.

Why do people assume that when Rob Rixon speaks/does anything it is for the WCRA? - I have got a life away from the WCRA!

It may be that I wanted to weigh my own dogs - or it may be for a new racing club!

It was just a general question - people shouldn't put 2 and 2 together and make 5. :clown:

Some cracking footage on there Masta.

I think the future is dogs running in lanes to bits of rag being waved! No interference judges or muzzles required!

I think the future is dogs running in lanes to bits of rag being waved! No interference judges or muzzles required!
liked the size too, how many times have you heard "whippets are too big not like the old fashioned whippet" :-

liked the size too, how many times have you heard "whippets are too big not like the old fashioned whippet" :-

What a great find P!! And yes... the racing whippet was sooo small back then (w00t)

Your girl sends a lick :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

What a great find P!! And yes... the racing whippet was sooo small back then (w00t)

Your girl sends a lick :thumbsup:
Thanks Vick i like a lick off the girls ;)

You've been busy filling the trophy cabinet!! well done

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back