The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bald Patches

margemac

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello there

I have just had my whippet for 18 months and recently I have noticed that she has become quite bald aroung her back legs. Is there anything that can help with the regrowth or is that just wishful thinking.

I remember reading somewhere is a dog paper about using Rosemary essential oil in jojoba carrier oil. As I didn't have a whippet at time I didn't take much notice of this

Can anyone help or do you have to wait for the hair to grow again?

Margemac

Sea kelp is ment to help :thumbsup: ......but I'd have a blood test run (T4) to check for a thyroid problem if i was you :b

Snoop has had the same problem.The vet told me it was down to fleas, of which I did'nt agree with as he was'nt itching, I comb them regular and look for fleas, but I went ahead and bought frontline for both Snoop and Gucci, the latter not having any loss of hair.It still continued. Then a friend called and asked what I fed them on.They mainly eat vitalin, but I was sent a bag of pedigree complete for puppies, and he thought it could be that. So I cut it out. Since then his coat has become shiney and had begun to grow back.Gucci can seem to eat anything and it not have any effect in any way (dustbin) :x lol.

margemac said:
Hello there
I have just had my whippet for 18 months and recently I have noticed that she has become quite bald aroung her back legs. Is there anything that can help with the regrowth or is that just wishful thinking.

I remember reading somewhere is a dog paper about using Rosemary essential oil in jojoba carrier oil. As I didn't have a whippet at time I didn't take much notice of this

Can anyone help or do you have to wait for the hair to grow again?

Margemac

Is the balding symmetrical? Can you post some photos of the bald patches?

bardmand said:
If your whippet is blue, it could also be colour dilution alopecia. Doesn't seem to be as common in whippets as in dobermans (or is it dobermen?), but it occurs.
yes its common with the blues and isabellas (fawns)a lot of puppy farmers bred these colours specifically to sell to the public telling them it was a rare colour and so they were very valuable (they didnt tell them all the skin and coat problems they inheirited along with the colours though)as they charged them double sometimes treble the price of a normal black/tan,liver/tan pup.i never in all the 30 odd years i bred dobes ever bred a blue or fawn cos of the problems i knew they had.

(w00t) I Never knew that (w00t) You learn something every day dont you :blink:

I've yet to see a fawn Irish Setter! It's like having a white GOLDEN Retriever.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back