The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ban on dogs in all Wetherspoons pubs.

Nanny71

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Wetherspoons have banned dogs from all their pubs, including the gardens. Apparently because some children are afraid of dogs and they want to encourage young families coming for lunch.
As my dog is generally much better behaved than most children I find this absolutely ridiculous.

@Nanny71 maybe if you let your dog order nuggets and chips with a large coke and ice cream then have him puke on the floor and scream like a banshee they would re-consider...
Only saying because on my one visit to such a pub that what was going on ...

It is pretty poor but to be honest I am not likely to be affected - there are plenty of alternatives and the carpets are likely to be less sticky.

We have been to places where the staff say if they didn't allow dogs, they'd have no clients (usually walking areas) and I'd rather go where my business is valued.

If anyone reading this in future is looking for a dog friendly pub, i recommend www.doggiepubs.org.uk

As well as being fairly comprehensive it gives ratings for food quality and links to the pub websites so you can check more detail.

We do have several dog friendly pubs where I live. We are away in Yorkshire at the moment and walking past a Wetherspoons pub saw the large notice about the Dog ban.
There are very many pubs which welcome dogs. The Wetherspoons ban seems over the top because it includes the garden

There's plenty of other pubs. Wetherspoons' argument is that some children are wary of dogs, and some dog owners don't control their dogs or clear up after them, and this ban means that anyone who prefers not to eat, or let their children play, where there are dogs has that choice.

There's a pub near here that allows dogs, inside and out, but doesn't allow children. Annoying for families, I'm sure, but again, it means people have a choice.

Boycott Weatherspoons’ pubs, & let them know why. :)

A ban on dogs indoors is fine; that gives dog-fearful patrons plenty of space.
A ban on dogs in the outdoor cafe’ area is excessive.

Dog-friendly cafes are very popular in the USA b/c dogs are not allowed in restaurants — other than SDs / SDiTs, who are with their disabled handler or being trained for such work.
So such places as Panera Breads & other national chains with outdoor tables that tolerate dogs on leash have a massive advantage; I have used such places many times, to teach clients’ dogs their manners around food.

- terry

You cant blame some pubs for banning dogs ...irresponsible dog owners spoil it for others by not picking up dog mess and not keeping their dogs under control. ..not all people are dog lovers and some people are scared of dogs ...

You cant blame some pubs for banning dogs ...irresponsible dog owners spoil it for others by not picking up dog mess and not keeping their dogs under control. ..not all people are dog lovers and some people are scared of dogs ...
They don't ban irresponsible drinkers. I guarantee more problems are caused by drunken behaviour than by dogs.
Dogs don't vomit in the toilets, take drugs or cause fights.
Inside I understand but outside there is no valid reason.

Inside I understand but outside there is no valid reason.

I think before assuming that to be true it would be fair to ask them what their reasons were, what problems dogs in the gardens had caused, and what customer feedback they'd had - they might have very genuine reasons. Bear in mind that there's a big difference between a small dog that will stow nicely under the table or on a lap, and a big dog who needs the space of a small picnic table - they might not want a ban based on size.

Their reason is some children are afraid of dogs and they want to encourage young families. Second reason is the staff are fed up of picking up dog mess.
Apparently they don't mind children running around screaming or drunks vomiting and causing fights.
I don't know why I am so incensed I have never been in a Wetherspoons with or without my dog.
Saw the sign outside a Wetherspoons pub in Whitby whilst on holiday.

Where live we have one cafe/bistro in town which welcomes dogs and children. It is always full. Serves alcohol as well as hot drinks, and snacks and meals.

I can understand why they did it. As a child I was petrified of dogs, especially larger ones (some of that caution remains today). So by their presence, the most well behaved dog could be cause for concern for some people who would visit a place like this not necessarily expecting to experience dogs. Then of course, you have the other end of the scale, owners who don't control their dogs, pick up, etc. They haven't banned the people mentioned by @Nanny71 as they're paying customers ;)

Wetherspoons reasoning is echoed by my bank, Nationwide. They ban dogs because some people are frightened of them. I offered to wait until the bank was empty before entering with my dog but they would not consent. Who is lobbying these companies and telling them that they are terrified of dogs and so will not use their premises? I only know of one person who is frightened of dogs, whereas I know of dozens and dozens of dog lovers and neutrals.
Mind you, my local pub allows dogs and one owner takes his dog in there and allows him to roam around off lead! Dogs are allowed in the bar and garden but not in the restaurant area.

Lloyds won't allow dogs in either - NatWest though (at least my local branch) is absolutely fine with me taking Harri in with me. My accountant too is fine with it - the staff make a huge fuss of him and I was told off the time I did leave him at home

I wouldn't want to take a dog into any of my local Wetherspoons pubs. They are always packed out and usually with the lowlifes who start drinking at 9am and are drunk at mid day.

They are all located in town centres which I wouldnt take my dogs too. A few of my local pubs allow dogs in, but mine have only been a few times, mainly in the summer when I fancy a cider

My local Wetherspoons has just a small grassy area, and I can't say I've ever noticed any troublemakers or rowdy badly behaved children there. Not that I tend to hang around there on a Friday/Saturday evening though. A couple of largeish dogs sprawled out on the grass could really get in the way - you probably have a different perspective if you have the sort of dog you can stow neatly under the table or even on your lap.

What makes me laugh is arty/kitchenalia shops where the shopkeeper sees OH and Jasper standing outside and say that they are welcome to come in. I look at all the expensive sculptures/glassware on shelves at J's tail height and just imagine the bill we'd be presented with if he came in and tried to do a three-point turn in an narrow aisle, or just wagged his tail :D

Our local pub welcomes dogs. In the garden and in the bar. There can be up to nine of us in there in the mornings, having tea and coffee after our walks.
On one occasion there were eleven with no problems.
We always go for Christmas dinner in the restaurant, without the dogs.Usually 12 of us.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back